Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Newton Stock
 Login/Join

posted
WTB a Newton stock for a 1st model. In any condition that may glue or whatever to use
as a pattern. Thanks Whitey and please E-Mail whanson@plainstel.com Or Pm

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Welcome to AR tu2

You may have a really tough time locating one for purchase.

Im sure you know how hard they are to come by.

Does duplicating from the original pattern mess up the stock in anyway?

I am a great fan of the 1916 1st models, do you own one yourself?

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3079 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi Cal and thanks. I never thought it would be that hard. I figured someone would have a broken one or had put a mocern Smile style on.
Like the project on it'sway to me now. With maybe a Fagen. In fact I have never had a newton in my hands yet.But I like to tinker and when my friend decided to clean his closet after over 20 years. He rembered a project he had bought back then. Smile
Cal there is no way I would take a chance on using someone's good stock. If something happen I could never forgive myself.
Do you have a Newton.? Whitey

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does duplicating from the original pattern mess up the stock in anyway?

I've made patterns from a keeper stock. Takes a little more time and care. I would cover it with several layers of tape and reduce the guide contact weight to a minimum.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ramrod thanks and if I owned a keeper stock I would do that also but I don't so. I will keep hunting but thanks. Whitey

One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I'm not sure if you checked with any duplicating companies, but sometimes they duplicate a stock and save a pattern for themselves. Mike Kokolis had a bunch of stock patterns for various rifles, I'm not sure who bought out his stuff, but it'd be worth making a few phone calls.

Otherwise, it might be worth a try finding a stock that has similar dimensions to a Newton, and bed in your barreled action with bondo. You should be able to re-shape it to fit your action well enough for a pattern. I saw where someone fit a mauser into a 40X stock and it worked out pretty well for the intended purposes.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks and am in the process of trying that now. Whitey

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
whitey 1936

Yes I own 2 1st model Newtons Wink and Im always trying to locate others just as a hobby.

I lucked out after several years of looking and Gentleman here gave me one he hadn't used in years, Becuase he had a custom made up for his.

I had all but given up on the Idea and then just by chance he saw my ad.

I have one that looks to be made by a student in a shop class in maple. It wa swhat was on it when I got it,I worked but was a far cry from being correct.
Let me know what you find (If anything) I would probably be willing to pass on the Maple one if you cant come up with anything.

It would at least get that old Newton back in the field. Or I would be interested in the action if the owner decides to move onto another project.

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3079 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi Cat Mine is not here yet. But it has a piece of fancy walnut stock maybe a Fagen done over 20 yearss ago. My friend picked up 2 and 1/2 of them from a retiring gunsmith ?? and he put the 30 newton project together and got side tracked untill he forgot all about it.And was now getting rid of things he no longer had a interest in. I also got part of a 256 newton
03 springfield set up to play with.The complete barreled action is in 22 var. Whitey

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
whitey 1936

Keep me posted with the progress.

Id like to see pics.

Cal30

posted Hide Post
Will do. Whitey

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whitey

I've got a Newton that someone rechambered or rebarreled to .308 Norma. The stock is either a duplicate, or was sanded down removing the checkering and then refinished with varnish or urethane. If I can find it, you could use it to duplicate from, I don't think you could hurt it... I would want it back eventually, though.

It is hidden away with my .256 Newton, I put them somewhere before I got my gun safe years ago. My interest has since turned to Mausers, and I kind of forgot about them...

Let me know if you want me to look.

Posts: 266 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Would it be possible for you to email me at
whanson@plainstel.com Thanks Whitey