THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser Questions (Mexican, Spanish, Austrian)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Going through some old junk actions today.

I have some questions.

First, I have what I believe to all be large ring Mexican Mauser actions.
Large bolt body and knurled cocking piece right?
2 piece firing pin like the Springfield.
My problem is that the firing pin shaft at the front is too large to fit into the bolt.
Are there different vaariations of Mexican Mauser parts?
I also have an action of the same design which has 'Austria' stamped on the left side of it.
Did Austria make a Mexican-type action?

Next:
I have a few Spanish Oviedo 1922's which say they are made by DWM in Berlin with the square-bottom 93 style bolt but without the stiffening rib on the left receiver wall.
One of these actually has hinged bottom metal.
Any information on these?
I believe the hinged one's bottom metal is not #'s matching.

I'm sure there are a couple of things I am forgetting to ask, but I thought these oddballs sort of stood out.

-Spencer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The experts argue as to the actual number of 98's made (15 million, or 50 million ?).
Plenty of room for variations. Anyone who thinks he knows all about these is a fool.
Good Luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Took some measurements of the firing pin shaft.
It measures about .250
I checked a normal 98 pin with the square notches and the portion forward of the gas flange measure .222 and fits in with some wobble.
Also, there are grooves cut into the Mexican pin.

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
SCR -

Something about that Mexican Mauser, are you sure that it is a large ring? The knurled cocking piece and 2 piece firing pin makes it sound like the bolt belongs on a 1936 Mexican. From other information on this site, if it is a large ring, it would be a 1924 Mexican. More importantly, if it is a 1936 and you are looking to sell it, can I have dibs?

Not sure on the Spanish, have no experience with them at all, sorry.

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is a large ring with a 2-piece firing pin.

Keep in mind that the bolt and FP assembly are from completely different guns.

The shroud threads fine into the bolt without the forward piece of the pin in place.
Just wanted to know if there was ever a variation on the design where it had a smaller shank on the pin.

Also, and this is not to be directed towards you SmallCal b/c you had something to input to this thread, but in general why is it that posters come into a discussion for no other reason than to ask to buy what is being discussed?

If I wanted to sell, I would post in the classifieds, or at least make note in the post that it is for sale.

So, sorry SmallCal, this mess (I wouldnt call it a gun yet) is currently not for sale.

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
SRC -

MY BAD - See a couple of posts down for the correct identity of the action.

No offense taken. There were two reasons that I asked the question, the first is the 1936s are really rare and it is tough to not inquire if one is for sale, I apologize for doing so in your thread, a PM would have been the better way to go. Second, your signature links to a site advertising thousands of parts and guns for sale, so I figured it was a reasonable assumption that the actions were or would soon be for sale.

I haven't seen anywhere that the 1924 Mexican (the only large ring Mexican) would have had the Springfield type cocking piece. Doesn't mean it didn't as these are the least known Mexican action. To my limited knowledge, it was only on the 1936. Unsure of whether the 1924 had a 2 piece firing pin. Did the regular 98 FP fit for length? It was my understanding that the 1924 was an intermediate length action.

Also, have not heard of any 1924s made in Austria. Have heard of 24s made in Yugoslavia and Czech (sorry, not going any farther with the spelling) and some made by FN for Venezuala (1924/30). Is the Austrian action a military or commercial?

If I'm misreading your post or mis-interpreting it, I'll stop here.

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In looking at the several 1910 Mexicans I have and the firing pins....they are one piece, have groves on the back for the cocking piece and they are NOT square but rounded where the firing spring butts up on the front...hope that helps...Arthur

Posts: 201 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
According to Ludwig Olson, the only Mexican action (bolt) with a 2 piece firing pin was a model 1954 cal. 30-06 mauser short rifle which had an aperture rear sight on the receiver bridge similar to that of the M1903-A3 Springfield along with the knobbed cocking piece and stamped triggerguard. The 1910, 1924(Belgium), and 1936 all had one piece firing pins. Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That'll teach me. Was absolutely unaware of the 1954 Model. Forget what I said above. homer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok, so i think what I am trying to do (unsuccessfully of course) is to mate a 1954 pin assembly with a 1910, 24, or 36 or whatever I have action.

I found another weird action in my junk box which I have posted a seperate thread about.

-Spencer