Notify
Tools

223wssm help
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of greghud
posted
hi all,
i have been "given" a win mod 70 super shadow? (black plastic stock blued metal)in 223wssm off a young fella who offloaded it as he was having problems with it and wanted to get something that will shoot strait and not cost the earth to run (he dont reload)
now i had it in my head that he had shot it out and it needed to be rebarreled. but after looking at it, it seemed to be better than i thaught, visualy anyway.
the stock is contacting nearly all the way up the barrel on both sides. the rifleing looked good but looks like it needs a good clean. the crown looked "ok" the rifling ran up to the crown but didnt look sharp, so to speak.
it shot patterns last time he shot it and so he gave up on it and is dumping it on me.
now for the questions.
what do i try to do first? i was thinking give it a thorough clean and cut out the stock to float the barrel.
if that dont fix it then recrown? the worry i had here is that the barrel is chrome lined, so i beleave, and i heard that recrowning is difficult as the chrome will chip? anyone clarafy this.
then if that dont work i just rebarrel, this was my original intention anyway but i i am a frugal bugger and if i can get this to shoot without having to fork out to much then i will be a happy chappy.
thanks in advance
greg
i am a enthusiastic shooter but i will be the first to admit that im no gun smith so i will need to get all the "metal" work done for me although i will have a go at the stock.

Posts: 383 | Location: top end oz | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Save your money and either rebarrel in another caliber or sell it. That cartridge is a POS and the brass is terrible.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote