THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser brings out a new rifle - the Mauser 03?!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi,

I've just found out that Mauser is bringing out a new rifle - the first information are coming from their web page:

Right now it looks pretty interesting to me, but quite a few questions are remaining - to my understanding it's no CRF, the system bedding is unclear, (although with the type of exchangeable barrel this should be quite solid).

From the information of the web site I like the low scope mount, the stock design, the design of the open sights, the solution with the lockable magazin, the corrosion protection of the barrel & system...

Nevertheless, practical testing is required - how reliable is the action, how the trigger works, how well it is balanced, how it swings, how is the accuracy, how fast & easy it can be cocked...

What do you think?

Best regards,

Erik

Posts: 175 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
In a word, "Fugly".BTJMO.

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Pre64>
posted
With the interchangeable bolt face(s) it looks like they've been watching Blaser.

one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
I thought of Blazer also.

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
The bolt design reminded me of the current Savage M10/110.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
4 too many locking lugs, ugly, company thought they came out doing people a favor, I am afraid they are going to be paying for it.
I know ill pass.
If it was the same cost as mil surplus mauser, I still wouldnt take it.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
They just cannot get it right. They flopped hugely on the Mauser 2000 crapola and they will do it again.

This is the email I sent them:

Greetings,

Please understand I do not mean to offend anyone at all. I am attempting to give some constructive criticism.

The Mauser 03 wil fail just as miserably as did the Mauser 2000. The reason is the same as before: nobody wants one and they are ugly.

What do people around the world want? A newly manufactured m98 action at an affordable price, not a complete rifle that only 1% of the sportsmen in the world can afford.

If you want to instantly take the market away from every major rifle manufacturer, begin producing m98 actions again and send them over. You will not be able to make them fast enough to keep up with the demand.

Roger Rothschild
Bethel, Alaska

[ 07-16-2003, 15:02: Message edited by: Roger Rothschild ]

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Rusty>
posted
Roger, your right!
A new Magnum Mauser action from Sig USA is over $1,500 US. That is just a bit steep for me!

Rusty
We band of brothers!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks OK to me. What do they want for it?
My only concern with it is that Safety/Cocking thingy. As a safety, it looks like it is in a convenient, ambidextrous location but what the heck is it really? How does it work? Carrying uncocked? Huh? What? [Confused]

[ 07-16-2003, 17:45: Message edited by: BECoole ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd buy one if the actual retail price ends up around $900 to $1000. More than that, I'd pass for a custom.

There appears to be a requirement in some European countries to prohibit carrying rifles afiled cocked and loaded. That is implied in Mauser's explanation of their new safety.

BeCoole, the safety actually cocks and decocks the firing pin as well. When the safety is off (fire position), operating the bolt will recock the rifle, so rapid fire is not affected. It is a most excellent idea.

I particularly like the double stack detachable magazine, as it can be loaded from the top as well as a flooplate mag. It's about time someone other than Sako figured this out.

The Mauser 98 is not the end all-be all of rifles.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I think it has possibilities. Shorten the forearm and drop the sights and it wouldn't be as ugly. The interchangable bolt heads/calibers are attractive for some. If it isn't made of a bunch of plastic parts it would be 'acceptable' for around a $1000 or so.

I agree with the opinions regarding the M98 action. Just bring it back in an affordable, scope friendly configuration and they couldn't make enough. The 98 system is the ne plus ultra of bolt actions. Plateau Hunter

Posts: 171 | Location: Cannon Co., TN | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orion 1:

There appears to be a requirement in some European countries to prohibit carrying rifles afiled cocked and loaded. That is implied in Mauser's explanation of their new safety.

BeCoole, the safety actually cocks and decocks the firing pin as well. When the safety is off (fire position), operating the bolt will recock the rifle, so rapid fire is not affected. It is a most excellent idea.

The Mauser 98 is not the end all-be all of rifles.

Orion, I totally agree with your last comment! I'll bore you with repeating myself: although the M98s are very popular in the States - mostly as basis for various custom projetcs - this does not go for Central Europe at all. Around my part of the world, a M98 based rifle is usually considered the cheaper end of the market.

As some of you have pointed out, this new rifle seems to have taken over a lot of the Blaser R93 features: manual cocking, switch barrel, caliber change... Well, no wonder. I don't know if this is still the case, but I believe it is (at least it was up until maybe a year ago), Blaser and Mauser are owned by the same company - as is Sauer (why else do you think Sauer imports Blaser into the States?). Besides, all rifle manufacturers in Europe have seen Blaser steal a HUGE proportion of the market. So it is hardly surprising that you see R93-like features on many of the new rifles coming out. As a matter of fact, the features they have chosen for this particular rifle (manual cocking, switch barrel, caliber group change) are some of my favorite R93 features. I'm definitely not complaining.

I don't think there is a legal requirement in Europe for manual cocking of a rifle. I suppose it is a bit like when the SIG 226 9mm pistol came out. Few pistols before that had a decocking lever (I think - not being a handgun man, if I'm wrong please don't tear me apart). Now this feature is quite commonly found on many new designs. I REALLY like the ability of carrying my R93 with a round chambered, in full safety. If you have not tried the R93 (or now this new Mauser), you owe it to yourself. Manual cocking is becoming such a big thing in Europe, that there are even modification kits sold, that will convert your M98 to manual cocking. Now there is an idea for all you M98 aficionados (you'll probably kill me for that remark - heresy! modify a M98?? [Big Grin] )

You obviously can't argue about taste, so if you guys find the rifle ugly, then so be it. The pictures on this page feature a semi-americanized version of the rifle - straight buttstock (sp?) and rounded foreend included. They have left the open sights on the rifle. I doubt the rifle will be sold in the US with open sights - except perhaps in large calibers. The grip is probably not as open as fashion currently dictates in the US - in terms of useability that may well be an advantage IMHO. Other than that, I can't see what the "ugliness" should be - but as I said, one can't argue about taste.

All in all, I think it is swell that new, innovative products are brought onto the market. In particular since a lot of these companies are really struggling - the European firearms market is NOT the place to be these years.

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"There appears to be a requirement in some European countries to prohibit carrying rifles afiled cocked and loaded. That is implied in Mauser's explanation of their new safety."

Funny how we do thing differetly. I have never carried rifles with a round in the chamber. It is asking for trouble. The amount of time it takes to work the action is nil. Why take the chance?? The other side of the coin is that shotguns are commonly carried with one in the chamber. It seems like a bit odd to me. A close range shotgun wound is just as nasty as a rifle wound.

Anyway I think the safety/cocker is not going to catch on. The swap barrel idea has never been good. The universal gun thing has had a long time following with Europeans. I guess they can shoot a larger variety of game on the same outing. They sure seem to be attracted to novelty or "Tinker Toy" rifles. It used to be multi barrel rigs.

From an American perspective "Tinker Toy" rifles seem silly. I would never own one. I would grab my Pre '64 M-70 and go. I see a nice buck at anthing under 300 yards and kill it. I don't think you are as likely to do that with a swap barrel or a drilling. A solid reliable rifle is not as novel but it is very effective.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scot:
I don't think you are as likely to do that with a swap barrel or a drilling. A solid reliable rifle is not as novel but it is very effective.

You probably don't undestand much about datums then. Some switch barrel systems, like Blaser's keep their exact zero after the swap for two reasons: the scope is mounted to the barrel, not the receiver, and the bolt lugs lock onto the barrel, not the receiver.

In the case of the Sauer 202 and the Mauser M03, the scope is attached to the receiver, not the barrel itself. That means that rezeroing will be necessary after a barrel change, but their indexing system is so good that you will still be on paper and pretty close to the original zero at 100 yards/meters.

It seems to me you are badmouthing a system that you have little or no knowledge of.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Roger, we sure don't dig ugly, but the Germans do! They overbuild everything, so it is "nix for nice, but hellfor strong"!! They'd rather look at a panzer than an F16! See what I mean?? [Confused]

<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Roger Rothschild:
If you want to instantly take the market away from every major rifle manufacturer, begin producing m98 actions again and send them over. You will not be able to make them fast enough to keep up with the demand.

I couldn't agree more. This company has the capacity to do it and still they are trying to smear down the mauser name by adding these overcomplicated, overengineered shit features from the BLASER. Thinking it will be more attractive to the "market" �!"#�%&/()=? [Mad] Silly krauts and coco clock makers, they are obsessed by overcomplicate stuff to a degree when it becomes unuseable [Mad] [Mad]

I suggest that they put some serious rifle loonies in the board of the company and they have to work their rocks off to meet the market. We want mauser 98's not some POS [Razz] I will write to them....

Rusty, is it possible to buy just the actions from SIG?. Who shall I contact [Confused] . Please, send a e-mail or PM

/ JOHAN

[ 07-16-2003, 22:25: Message edited by: JOHAN ]