New
Find
Notify
Tools

m70 pre war scope base
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a pre war M70 that has the one hole at the back of the receiver. I have a Buehler base and rings but they are for a 26mm scope. I'd like to put modern glass on the rifle. What are my choices? Who makes good bases and rings, 1". Thanks.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buehler makes bases, and rings. Redfield, and LEupold used to make bases and rings for the pre war mod. 70s, I suppose they still do. A mod. 54 might work on a pre war gun..I may have a set of one inch Buehler rings, give me an email at rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com if your interested..They are decent scope mounts.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41980 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a set of talley bases for a prewar but would require D&T another hole. Also have NIB buehler 1" rings I might sell if Ray does not have any. Not really looking to get rid of them but probably have more than I need.

Posts: 1145 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buehler bases and rings are good. Finding a set of 1" rings shouldn't be too hard (ebay, etc). If the rifle has any collector value I wouldn't drill and tap it. If you find a set of rings see if you can find a set of their instructions. Also note that on the early guns bolt/scope clearance can sometimes be a problem so you might need higher rings than you think.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Adding to cgbach, make sure the shims are intact and complete, necessary for proper fitting. Several low sets on ebay right now at good price, may not be high enough depending on your needs.

Posts: 1145 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
KDA55 above post appears to have the proper rings for you to purchase.

I checked my inventory and the rings I have are the old solid Buehlers the require dismantling the scope to install...You don't want them..We used to use the solid rings with old Weaver scopes as the gas leaked out of them anyway. They look great but definatly problematic.

Talley makes them, and I think Redfield and Leupold still have bases and rings for prewar guns..and any gunsmith can whip out a set of custom bases for about any rifle...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41980 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote