New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bolt face
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Im pretty sure my bolt face isnt sq, i think its built up in the centre where the pin is. If i stick a case in the action and load it up, then go between uncocked and cocked it polishes around the primer. its been doing this since i've had it new. could any problems arise from this?

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you sure the primers are seated properly? What kind of action is it?
-Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
its just a kimber montana 8400. the primers are below the surface although i think the pin is scratching them also. what i was originally saying was its on the outside of the primers, marking the case.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul from nz:
Im pretty sure my bolt face isnt sq, i think its built up in the centre where the pin is. If i stick a case in the action and load it up, then go between uncocked and cocked it polishes around the primer. its been doing this since i've had it new. could any problems arise from this?

It could be the brass. Lay a straight edge across the head of the brass and check to see if it's a little high in the center. Regardless, it shouldn't pose a problem.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another thought is that how many rounds have you shot throught this,and have you dried fired it a lot? sometimes the thickness of the bolt face will protrude some if the metal isn,t to harness specs when the bolt was treated and dry firing can put a little buldge in the bolt face around the firing pin hole a little. van

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
its fired around 120-140 shots. hasnt been dry fired too much only when lightening the trigger off.