THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Okay, help; please explain commercial flat vs. notched mil-spec 98 cocking pieces

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Okay, help; please explain commercial flat vs. notched mil-spec 98 cocking pieces
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What difference does it / they make?

Posts: 528 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
What difference does it / they make

I'm sure no expert. In my experience I've had the notched cocking piece lock up some of the commercial after market triggers. I've had the flat work just fine on triggers like the blackburn. I'm darn sure Paul M had a reason for the notch. Maybe it had something to do with the notch in the side of the piece to allow you to recock with a shell case. (seems mightly slow to me)

Now the MKX speedlock version is another issue.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any had any problems with mil-spec notched cocking pieces and Timney Triggers?

Posts: 528 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
The "V" piece will lock up the bolt if used with a Sako trigger. After firing you will not be able to lift and move the bolt rearward. The Trigger sear will hang up in the CP notch.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any had any problems with mil-spec notched cocking pieces and Timney Triggers

Not sure if it was a Timney or Bold but one or the other or maybe both has locked up for me. Get a flat bottom and don't worry about it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mauser...&hash=item2ebb79917c

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is my understnading that the notch is there to allow the original style sear to rest in the up position when the rifle is stored uncocked.

It also allows the user to verify trigger/sear movement when the rifle is uncocked. I assume this might be more of a benefit in frozen or muddy military environments.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never had an issue with timney sportsmans or featherweights with a standard cp.
Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Timney and Blackburn all worked fine on my mausers w/the std mil CP.

As far as the Sako hanging up, I have two on military sporters, a '35 Peruvian and a '36 Mex and never a lockup yet.
Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mark x triggers will lock it up, can't lift bolt handle.

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a design difference if you compare the Timney Sportsman Trigger to the Timney Featherweight Trigger. The Sportsman is designed to allow the trigger sear to pop up into the v cut on military cocking piece and then to allow the cocking piece to ride over the trigger when cocking. The Sportsman can be used successfully on either the v notched or solid bottom cocking piece. The Timney Featherweight Trigger is designed to remain fully depressed under the cocking piece upon firing and therefore requires a solid bottom cocking piece. If the Featherweight trigger is used with the v shaped cocking piece it CAN on occasion pop up somewhat in the v recess and then cannot be depressed by the cocking piece as it attempts to ride over the trigger sear when cocking and therefor lockup the bolt. The Dayton/Taister can be used with either cocking piece as the spring design allows the entire trigger unit to move downward on cocking to allow the cocking piece to travel over the trigger sear. Trigger sear/cocking piece 101.

Posts: 249 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With Quote