New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bulging Primers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Model 20 Savage 250-3000, factory Winchester 100gr ammo. Went to the range today with new rifle and noticed the primers were backed out a tad bit on the fired cases. They weren't flat from over pressure just backed out. Could this be a headspace problem or something else.
Thanks, Kelly

Posts: 124 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fired primers standing proud of the case is usualy a sign of LOW pressure. It's fairly common in cartridges like the 30-30 and 35 Rem where the internal pressure isn't enough to stretch the case web.

Your Cartridge is rated for a MAX pressure of 53000psi/45000cup, but that doesn't mean that the factory is loading it to those levels.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Right; I had the very same problem a few weeks ago with my 375 HH, trying to set a light load with the WW760. Results were not good, primers buldged and I had to switch to a faster powder (Vith.N140) to raise the pressures and solve the problem. Anyway, the cause of your problem may be different.....

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The guys above are right on. And, it also could be a headspace issue. But, try some +P ammo to see if that solves the problem.
I reload for my 250-3000.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll get the headspace checked then I will do some reloading for it. I reload for my other rifles, just need to get some dies.
Kelly

Posts: 124 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I load a VERY mild load of green dot in my 30-06 with a cast bullet for small game/plinking and have noticed the same thing.
Eterry

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote