New
Find
Notify
Tools

Experienced Ruger Gunsmiths - Advice Please
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just got a new wood/blue MKII rifle in 270 win. The barrel is not centered in the stock. I want to make this rifle as accurate as possible, yet keep the wood stock. Judging from your past experience, what would you suggest I have done to this rifle's stock? Money isn't a problem. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
If I had a dollar for every factory barrel/stock that was off center... Unfortunately that is not uncommon. I doubt you will be able to make the correction by adjusting the position of the action within the stock. Too much for so little. Depending on how far off center you're talking, probably your best immediate choice and least expensive one would be to float the barrel so that there is an even gap on both sides. That will help the visual problem and more than likely help with the accuracy too.

Of course you could go crazy, pull the barrel and check that the barrel and receiver were in proper alignment and not sitting at an angle to each other. Big Grin I would float the barrel and go from there.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
What Westpac said. Open the barrel channel up, put a layer of 10mil pipe-wrap tape on the barrel and bed barrel channel with glass. This will help stabalize the forearm by sealing it tight.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses so far - Can I get the 10 mil pipe wrap tape at a Lowes or a Home Depot?

I understand about glassing the barrel channel, but should I also bed the action, even back to the tang as I have read on other threads?

Thanks much!

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBGuy:
Thanks for the responses so far - Can I get the 10 mil pipe wrap tape at a Lowes or a Home Depot?

I understand about glassing the barrel channel, but should I also bed the action, even back to the tang as I have read on other threads?

Thanks much!

By all means do the action while you are at it.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Yes, you should be able to find the 10mil tape at those places or any electrical or plumbing supply--Graingers has it too. Don't tape the entire barrel though, start about 1.5" from the receiver ring all the way past the end of the forearm. Glass bed the receiver at leasst from the forward end of the magazine well forward to the end of the forearm, using the tape to give you free-float space.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just got a new wood/blue MKII rifle in 270 win. The barrel is not centered in the stock. I want to make this rifle as accurate as possible, yet keep the wood stock. Judging from your past experience, what would you suggest I have done to this rifle's stock? Money isn't a problem. ...
Hey LBGuy, I do prefer Synthetic to Termite Food, but since "Money isn't a problem.", you might want to consider having the Barrel channel opened up - down inside - but try to leave the upper edge alone. Epoxy some kind of short-wide "U-Beam" into the opened channel in an attempt to keep the stock from Warping.

You could also "attempt" to have a bit of lateral stress placed on the stock while everything is drying in place to minimize the amount of "upper edge" that needs to be removed. But, that would require a good bit of magic and luck for it to come out in line with the Barrel as it should.

Some wood "gives the appearance" that it never warps or changes. But that seems to go against the inherent nature of that previously living tissue. It just takes in or lets out moisture as a natural function. And that has the potential to cause Warping.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just got a new wood/blue MKII rifle in 270 win. The barrel is not centered in the stock. I want to make this rifle as accurate as possible, yet keep the wood stock. Judging from your past experience, what would you suggest I have done to this rifle's stock? Money isn't a problem. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Relieve the barrel channel to the point no metal is touching, then full contact bed it with epoxy bedding. I've done more than I could count this way. I never float barrels on hunting rifles. I totally garee on keeing the wood. The Ruger stocks are very well designed. Synthetic stocks are uuuugly (IMO). If God wanted man to have synthetic stocks, he'd have planted synthetic trees Big Grin

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the end of the day, you will still have...a stock made by Ruger.

It would be better, IMO, to get a stock made from a stockmaker. There are too many choices of makers and materials to list. Pretty much any of them will be a higher quality product that what you are trying to do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Have you shot the rifle?? How does it shoot??
If it shoots to your desired level of accuracy follow the old rule, "if it aint broke, don't fix it!!" In the event it performs well, and the out of line matter on the barrel channel is a problem, simply take a dowel rod, approximate size of barrel channel, wrap in 80 grit sandpaper, stroke to one side or the other to make it even and bingo! you have an accurate rifle with a slightly opened up barrel channel.

Unless you are using the rifle in harsh climates on a regular basis, snow, rain, high humidity, etc., open the channel, and shoot the
rifle off hand, sitting, kneeling, off a rest, etc. until you are very comfortable with it in all positions and then alter the bedding to satisfy yourself that the accuracy will not change due to conditions. After some 3-500 rounds, you will know if it is right or not!!

Good Luck!!

PS: Do a break in on the factory barrel, shoot clean some twenty or thirty times, shoot clean some 5 times (three sets of five shots and then clean), and accuracy will start improving if it is going to do so.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brayhaven:
...If God wanted man to have synthetic stocks, he'd have planted synthetic trees Big Grin
rotflmo Best one I've seen in a l-o-n-g time. clap

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shoot it first, unless looking at the gaps bothers you. Some factory rifles will have obvious 'problems' like this and be great shooters. I tend to not fix things that are not broken and it may very well not shoot any better after you do a bunch of work. After all it is a Ruger not a custom rifle, just a good hard-core hunting rifle.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot the rifle some. It shoots one load with 2 almost touching then the third off to the left maybe an inch. With another load it strings three from right to left as the barrel warms. The barrel is against the stock on the right side and free along the left side. I really like the rifle and plan to keep it for many years to come. Just want some suggestions as to what should be done to help it shoot better. Thanks again!

one of us
posted Hide Post
LBguy,
After you described your situation, here's what I would try:
First, Loosen the action screws. Use your hand, or get some help, and try to "tweak the barrel to the left, as you tighten the front screw. This alone may be enough to "adjust your barrel to sit in the center.
If that doesn't work out, then just sand out the barrel channel on the bottom & right side. You shouldn't have to even touch the left side. Go slowly & stop when things look even. Then seal the barrel channel with your choice of finish.
One note: Ruger is bad to leave a "hump" in the middle of the barrel channel, from the action to about half-way to the forend tip. Be sure you don't have contact in this area. If you do, cut it down til there's no contact. Close inspection of the stock's channel, in good light, should show you where you have contact and need to remove material. Or, borrow your wife's lipstick and use it as inletting paste!

It's the little things that matter.

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since reading the responses here, I decided to free float the barrel as my first attempt at gunsmithing.

I got some 80 grit sandpaper and sanded until I could easily pass two $1.00 bills back to about 2" in front of where the barrel is screwed into the action (or thereabouts).

I then reassembled the gun, gave the barrel a good cleaning and went to my shooting bench.

My first group with 150gr factory Federal Partitions had two holes touching and the third 3/4" to the left. The second group was just a shade under 1".

I am well satisfied now, so plan to seal the barrel channel and contemplate glassing the action.

The gun shoots great! Without the advice and wise words from you fine people, I'd probably still be asking myself what I should do.

I sincerely appreciate your suggestions.
Thanks and have a Blessed Day.