Find
Notify
Tools

Tightening Browning Superposed
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Good afternoon guys,

I bought me a new shotgun this weekend. unusually for me I bought it without knowing anything about it other than it was supposed to be a good deal and it was an over/under trap gun.

It is a 1957 Browning Superposed Lightning (I didn't see this on it, but my buddy who got it for me found it out, he bought two of them from a couple of brothers, kept one and gave me the other for what he paid for it. the one he got is beat up but tight) I got it for $800. Looking around after this seems like a fair to good price for one. gun is clean, shows age but not abuse. If he hadn't told me I wouldn't have known it was 57 years old.

The only issue is that it is loose. we haven't even shot it yet but it seems to stay shut fine right now. but the lever is slightly left of 6pm. From what I read they are worth getting fixed. Where would you recommend sending it?

I read Midwest gunworks was one place, I called and they said usually $200 not including any parts on a superposed.

I know it's hard without seeing it (I get it next week hopefully, he wanted to try installing a recoil pad on it) does it sound like a decent deal or would having it tightened after what I paid not be a good investment? I just want a good trap gun.

Thanks.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many trap guns are purposefully loosened to aid in function during competition. I'd shoot it first before doing anything. You haven't even been fitted for it yet. Shoot it and if there are issues then take it to a 'smith to alter. What if you mount a recoil pad and find out the length of pull is all wrong? Slow down and approach it logically.

Posts: 3715 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Red, Is it off the face or does the loose come from the forend fit?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always thought proper function was the logical first step. It's my first over under though, so what do I know.

I don't know Jim, I don't know enough to be able to tell the difference. the forend was on when I was handling it. I just know it was loose and the lever was to the left. Not the same as a couple of other double trap guns that friends have let me shoot. Course they were much newer.

Great advice on going to Browning. I didn't know if they would still work on something so old, I will contact them next week (just tried but the time difference caught them after they were closed).

thank you guys.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Red,
You have a PM...

Posts: 44 | Location: s.c. WI | Registered: 18 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Arts gunshop is where you want to go. Art spent years restoring and repairing superposed. My superposed is headed there this year for a full once over, and a reblue / refinish on the stock.

Posts: 167 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Art's Gun Shop (636-944-3630), does super work. They completely restore a 1930's super pigeon Browning, it had a coin finish on rec and needed a new hinge pin replace all the spring gun is like new.. super job

Posts: 369 | Location: lee' summit missouri | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much guys for all the advice. I think my first stop is going to be browning. they will give me an estimate of repair costs with just the cost of shipping (30) and can do the repairs, if any. (did you all know that you can still order a superposed new from Browning Custom shop? I have no idea the cost but found that out when researching)

I just picked it up last night, it seems to function well (I'll post up pictures later) but I will send it off anyways to make sure nothing is neglected, after I shoot it some Big Grin My buddy cleaned the stock up a lot and installed a new pad and spacers for me. I can't wait to shoot it!

Now I have to get some snap caps and a case. Is a pelican overkill for back and forth from home to the trap club? I don't ask because I want to spend a lot of money, but because I have one that I haven't cut the foam on yet.

You guys are great as always.

Red

-Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Art's use to all Browning repairs when Browning was in St. Louis and was trained by Browning on Browning repairs, in fact he start our correcting salt guns........... You cannot find folks more knowledgeable on Browning than Art.

Posts: 369 | Location: lee' summit missouri | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote