New
Find
Notify
Tools

7x57 "plains rifle"
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have decided to turn my Mauser action into a 7x57. I would like to continue with the nostalga and make the rifle a "plains game rifle". I have never been to Africa or owned a "plains rifle" but thought the idea would make a fun project. What I need from you guys is technical specs. Barrel length and contour, stock make and materials, finishes, etc. Any suggestions would be helpful. If any of you have any suggestions that are personal favorites as oppossed to practical I would love to hear those also. Hope you guys can have some fun with this project.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perry

do a search here on AR to see if you can find a photo or two of ForrestB's three 7 x 57 Mauser Rifles. I think he refers to them as "stalking" rifles which I think might be the same thing as "plains" rifles. Two are made in the regular configuration and one has a Mannlicher type stock. The photos of those three rifles will give you much inspiration.

Another place you could look for inspiration would be a book by Lester Womack (I hope that is the correct spelling) which is called The Mauser Sporting Rifle (or something like that).

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I don't really know what a 'Plains Rifle' is but I'm including some pics of a 7x57 I had built to specifcally hunt plains game in Zimbabwe. It's the only custom rifle I have ever HAD built for me ,most I have built myself. This was built by an old friend from gunsmith school,Clayton Nelson. It's on a 1909 action and accounted for several Kudu and other plains game on my last Safari in Zimbabawe.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
Just one man's opinion here:
A 7 X 57 should use a Douglas (or equivalent) #1 contour 22" or 24" barrel 1-9" twist chrome moly, blued with Williams irons attached. The front sight to be ramped. A barrel band would be nice but it's not at all important on a light recoiling rifle.

Fancy claro walnut is my choice for a stock in classic shadowline style. and a good point pattern checkering.

Keep it light in weight and load it responsibly and you'll have a serious Plains game rifle.

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a perfect plains game rifle is pretty easy ...get a mauser action, 1909 or a vz 24 24 to 25 1nch barrel copy a taper from a rigby (take a look in speeds book)it should have 1 standing 2 folding leaves a barrel band sling swivel ,some that are avaliable of the shelf can be tweeked to look more englishy,the stock will be simple ,again look at the rigbys of pre ww1 very simple guns ,short forend without any horn or ebony,rounded pistol grip,steel butt mayby a trap in it,also if you use a military action use the military bottom metal you can contour the trigger guard in one night with a file have the bolt handle welded to look like an original oberndorf and there you are................paul

Posts: 294 | Location: MASSACHUSETTS | Registered: 26 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Zimbabwe, who's folding front site is that?

I think the mauser model A is the ideal for a 7x57, do a search, I know that Alf posted pics of his somewhere. I have them saved at home somewhere if you can't turn them up.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perry
You have a PM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
perry,i just bought a mauser type A from westley richards if you go to there sight it is listed under (european rifles)it is in cal.6.5x58 portugese a rare type A configuration ,this was a plains rifle at its best ........paul

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
You might touchbase with Alf for some feedback on a plains game rifle. He's got about the most impressive collection of African mausers I've ever heard of and lots of knowledge to boot.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tex21

Who is Alf?

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
perry, thad scott has an 8x60 type B oberndorf mauser for 2250$ another perfect plains riflethis is also a configuration you can copy if you are determined to build your own

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perry
You have another PM

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Dago Red, the front sight,rear sight and all else was done by Clayton Nelson. If you like that you should see the removable scope mount he makes that is a copy of the British style 2 piece side mount for Mausers. Also his 4 bore Farquarson actions built from scratch.Used to live in Hanford and know the Fresno area well.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perry,
I am not even sure what a plainsgame rifle is but the closest I probably have is a BRNO model 22 in 7X57 with open sights and fitted with a 1 3/4 to Leupold. I will see if I can locate a photo.

zimbabwe,
I met Clayton at a metalsmithing class I attended in Trinidad a few years ago. One of your classmates was also there, at least he was a classmate of Claytons. I can not remember his hame but he lived in Texas and was a very nice gentlman. Mark Stratton probably has his name on a class list as he was the teacher.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
perry,
out of all the rifles ALF has shown the rigby,s are the most expensive to buy but if you had to reproduce it, it is probably the cheapeast ,typical round barrel ,no cheeckpiece,military style bottom metal,no forend tip or grip cap, getting the stock shape and the balance is what is important if you have ever handled a rigby you will know what i mean.......paul

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK it looks like a "plains rifle" is not what I am looking for, long barrel and stock. The second to last rifle with the mannlicher stock is pretty cool looking. I also like the flattened bolt handle.

Lets talk stocks.
Where can one find a pretty piece of wood at a reasonable price. Are there any manufactures or do I need to track down blanks and find a stock maker. I like walnut with deep grain showing, Zimbabwe's rifle is beautiful.
Someone here on the forum has a stock duplicating machine but I have forgotten who it was(looked at a lot of posts since this project evolved).
Why do some mausers seem to have a stock that the heel drops dramatically, I have even seen some CZs with that feature?
What are yalls thoughts on barrels? I got a pm on a Lothar Walther barrel but even on their website info was somewhat limited.

Perry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
perry stock drop depends on if the rifle is going to be scoped or not ,a lot of early british or german sporters were not scoped ,although more german sporters were compared to british ,the brits used mostly open sighted guns with 1 standing 4 folding leaves regulated out to 500 yards most british and german early guns that were outfitted with scopes gave preference to the open sights and the scopes are therefore not easy to line up monte carlo combs werent seen on westley richards rifles until the 50,s some german makers use what is called a (hogback)cheeckpieces some CZ guns have this otto geyger also used this, it almost defines the typical german styling today
you will pay more to build a full stocked rifle than a half stock ,longer trouble free peice of wood,more involved inletting,and if you lead yourself down the path to a german style it will be expensive and not an investment no matter who builds it ,just some thoughts....paul

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul

I really appreciate all the insight on stocks. I will be talking to a gunsmith in the morning about action work. I really appreciate all of yalls interest in my project and will keep you all in the loop.

Perry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perry
You have a PM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perry
You have two PM

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
This was built by an old friend from gunsmith school,Clayton Nelson. It's on a 1909 action and accounted for several Kudu and other plains game on my last Safari in Zimbabawe.

Outstanding work! Beautiful piece!!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote