Find
Notify
Tools

Barrels for turkish mauser
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted
Is there a manufacturer that is making replacment barrels for the old turkish mauser? I know all the "better" options but some people (me)just don't listen and I want a project for after deer season and would like to start getting my parts together now. If there isn't a "slap in" barrel for the Turkish what does a person do?

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brownells' site has an article on gunsmithing the Turkish Mauser.

Posts: 376 | Location: Farmington, NM - USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also be aware that althought the measurements on the reciever indicate a large ring mauser, the K Kales and others take a small ring barrel. Therefore any barrels made for the Swedish Mauser can be retrofitted to the Turk.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<dfaugh>
posted
aS

<dfaugh>
posted
As noted above, many/most Turks are "small ring" barrels on "large ring" actions, but not all. Plenty strong either way, fo most any cartridge. Make sure which you have first...Endless supply of barrels, either type, every barrel makes has 'em.. Also, there are "small ring (1893) Turkish Mausers" out there (I have one), only suitable for lower pressure cartridges (even though some, like mine, re-chambered for 8x57...scary, with all the "hot" Turk surplus ammo out there!)

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Turks with the smaller shanks also have 11 1/2 TPI, not 12 TPI. All of the precut barrels that I know of are 12 TPI. Small Ring barrels have a longer shank than Turks if you're machining off the handguard as well.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have measured three of the turkish Lr/Sr actions and all three had 12 pitch threads. I have a feeling the some of them are mistakes that they custom threaded barrels for so as to not waste the actions.
Ray [Cool]

Posts: 147 | Location: Maryland, USofA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
All the small shank large ring Turks I have measured have been 12 tpi. No one that I know who has measured theirs has ever come accross a 11.5 tpi turk. The most common thing I have seen is that the shank diameter can vary. One of mine measures .990" rather than the norm of .980".

If the standard was indeed 11.5 tpi then all those people that screwed Sweede barrels into their Turks would surely have complained.

-Mike

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
I guess that I won't have to worry about it. Today a friend gave me a Rem 700 short action. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote