New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Gunsmith" screwdrivers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
OooKaay... I decided to spring for a set of so- called gunsmith screwdrivers for the obvious reason; to eliminate screw damage, etc. I tried several offerings, among them B-Square and Brownell's.

So far, my exerience has been less than great. All I seem to have is really expen$ive set(s) of screwdrivers.

The bits don't seem to be a lot different than the little screwdriver that came with my Smith revolver. But; the bits are soft, and bend with the least provocation, and little pressure.

Frankly, I don't see much improvement over the cabinet screwdrivers I used as a teen ager.

What am I doing wrong? Can someone recommend a better aternative?

Thanks

Posts: 117 | Location: Utah | Registered: 31 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Brownell's Magna-Tip with good success. They are usually hard enough to break before bending, don't know what's wrong with yours but IIWY I'd keep using the Brownell's Magna-Tips. The only screwdrivers, and I mean ABSOLUTELY the ONLY screwdrivers, that I've found to be better are the ones I make myself from drill rod, and I've tried most all brands over the last 50 years.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Chapman gunsmith set... the tips break off.

The Forster set, breaks.

The Craftsman screwdrivers, when ground to a gunsmith shape, break off.

The B Square set of tips seem to work. I pinch the driver into the gun in a big vise, and then turn the driver with a wrench.

Obviously none of these companies actually make screwdrivers. They are just being re sold. Where they get their goods can change to China.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Here's my 2 cents on this subject-

The best way to get a decent set is to do as J.D. suggests and get a magnetic bit set. How I'd say to do it is just find a bit driver you like, doesn't matter if it was only 99 cents from the bargain bin it will work just fine.

Now in whatever town you live in, call up a local garage and find out when the tool guy shows up in his van. Some will be Snap On, or Cornwell, or Matco or someone else. You can probably get his cell phone number from a mechanic and track him down. Now just buy a quality bit assortment from him, everything from #000 phillips to 1/4" slotted. The individual bits should cost between .50 - $1.50 each but most of them should be under a dollar unless you live somewhere crazy.

That gives you a decent set that has properly ground and hardened tips, and should you mess one up you can get it replaced quickly.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I use the Brownell's Magna-Tip with good success

+1. I asked this same question about a month ago. I'd used Chapman and Forster. I had broken most of the tips. As suggested I bought a Magn-tip set. To date I've been happy. Any and all tips will break. Far better to break or bend a tip than ruin the screw head. Tips are cheaper to replace than a full screwdriver.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brownell's warrants those tips forever. The only ones I ever bend or break are the very tiniest ones.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1618 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've repeatedly broken some fairly large-size Magna-Tip bits, up to and including the 270-4 size, but I MUCH prefer to have them break rather than bend. Re the breakage vs brute force, I've also broken a 1/2" socket breaker bar so...
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been gunsmithing since the 1970's and yes I have broken some screwdrivers but a very small number. I have probably used Brownells the most followed by Forester and reground craftsman. A few drill rod and Grace.

I always use as close fit as possible and if I'm expecting the screw to be difficult I give the screwdriver a good rap on the top of the handle with a hammer while applying light to medium torque gradually increasing torque as I continue to tap.

What few I've broken I probably was not in line with the screw. The same cause of broken taps.

I know one guy who breaks a lot of them because he does not support the gun or part very well. He generally has the gun just lying loose on his carpet padded bench. I like using soft lead blocks for solid non moving support.

Craftsman

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear CC:

I've used ancient screwdrivers, Craftsman, Japanese, Klein, etc. for over thirty years as a motor head, construction worker and apprentice electrician. The Klein are the best, but they don't work very well on gun screws.

I bought my first starter set of Brownells' magnatip screwdriver bits over 10 years ago, have a huge set now, and have not looked back.

I actually bent a 340-3 bit on a rear magazine screw (should have used the 340-4) when disassembling a 1908 Brazilian Mauser. Of course I had a 1/2" breaker bar on it. I was able to bend it back though, and still use it.

I also ground down a couple to fit Lyman sight screws which are tiny. I jazzed up a few of these screws before I made a proper bit.

Just today, I had to use a Brownell's tiny torx bit to remove door panel screws on my BMW.

Overall my experience with all Brownell's tools, including the screwdrivers has always been positive.

As Craftsman said above, you must immobilize the part you wish to unscrew, and line up the screwdriver. Furthermore, I just started to use the smaller, armorer screwdriver handle by Brownells, and love it.

But when the going gets tough that full sized handle really works.

I do cheat sometimes with a 3/8" drive allen socket where I mount the magnatip bit in it, and turn it with a ratchet or a breaker bar, but please don't tell Brownell's I'm doing that!

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris,
I have just taken apart ~20 of the 1908 DWM and VZ24 Brazilian Mausers being imported by Century.
Those action screws were the most stuck I have ever seen.

And I am still waiting for my new lathe to arrive [not just primers and Gold coins are high in demand right now].

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to speak heresy: I have found that Harbor Freight's scredriver set they sell, on sale, for less than $5 is about as good as anything out there. the full size scredrivers fit most gun screws just right, and it has all the other bits and so forth. I have a set behind the seat of my truck, one in my shooting box, one on the reloading table, 2-1/2 sets out on the workbench. If I get a screwhead a little off size I just grind a scredriver to shape. The set comes in a black box 9"x11-1/2"x2", but I couldn't find any numbers on it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two different Magna-tip screwdriver sets, the big Brownell's set and the Wheeler set.
I shore them up with a whole bunch of cheap fixed bit screw drivers that I grind to fit screws where a bit from one of the sets doesn't work.

Don

posted Hide Post
What about the set Galazan has for sale?I think they are call Harstahl,Can anyone give some information on them?Example i try to find the company who made them,and there no information on them just Galazan sell them,I am looking at buying a set.What would like to know information on the company.

Posts: 20 | Location: new castle,de. | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a problem with hand tools right now in that so many sellers are badging cheap chinese stuff with name brands. I doubt that Snap-on would do that, but who knows.