Find
Notify
Tools

Convert a Ruger 77 for Africa
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
EDIT: I forgot to mention this gun is a Lefty!

I have a Ruger 77 MKII (CRF,Laminated stock, SS) chambered in 7MM Rem Mag that I don't have a lot of use for and I was wondering how practicable it would be to convert it to something suitable for Dangerous Game?

Because the 7MM Mag has a case length of 2.5" and the .532" case head I think that I can do a barrel swap to convert it to 458 Win Mag, (Are the barrel shanks for the 7 Mag the same diameter as the shank on the 458?) but is that my only option?

I would really prefer a smaller 375-412 caliber gun that is legal in the RSA, Namibia, etc. for this gun, so are there any other options easily done with this action?

[ 11-07-2003, 05:03: Message edited by: Fjold ]

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fjold,

factory 375 or 404 Dakota's. Both are based on shortened improved 404 Jeffrey cases. Both are 2.550" case length, 3.330 COL.

Dies, brass, and loaded ammo are available.

Here's the linkee.

web page

You have a good platform for either of the Dakota's, and you avoid all the brass and chambering problems that the wildkitties like 416 Taylor or 425 Express may have.

Good luck,

Bob

Posts: 439 | Location: Goldsboro, NC 27530 | Registered: 25 July 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
416 taylor, no doubt

jeffe

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TXPO
posted Hide Post
I'm contemplating the exact same thing if I can pick up a M77 for cheap.......416 Taylor with 22" barrel is my idea of ALOT of WHOOPASS in a small package! [Big Grin]

Posts: 700 | Location: Wallis, Texas | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just an opinion, but I'd stick with the same belted H&H based case. Anything built on a larger (fatter) rimless case will *probably* require feed rail alterations. No problem if the person doing the altering knows his stuff, but if he doesn't...

The .416 Taylor sure is a good'un, as is the .458 Win. Magnum. It it were me, I'd opt for the .458 Win. Mag. just because of ammo availability and all of the other good stuff associated with well established factory rounds. I know there are some stories about concerning underloaded ammo and such, but I think those days are gone. Good modern ammo should kick along that 500 grainer at a good 2100 fps and that is sure enough a recipe for whomping.

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the input so far.

I knew about the Dakota cartridges but didn't want to go to the bother of opening up the bolt face to accomodate the .545" rim.

I forgot about the 416 Taylor though, a distinct possibility. How many variants were made on the 458 case? (.375 Taylor?, 400 Taylor?, etc.)

[ 11-07-2003, 01:23: Message edited by: Fjold ]

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seriously consider the Taylor. $50 dies from Hornaday forms from 458 in one pass. Bullet weights from 300 up, great short barrel perfomance, 5000 flbs+ should about cover your needs, and feeding should be easy to acheive. Some history there too. Wish I still had mine....

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
When I go with a DG cartridge in the Ruger should I add a second recoil lug to back up the receiver step that the Ruger action has? And should I have a crossbolt or two put in the stock?

one of us
posted Hide Post
There's a brand new Ruger barrel on eBay (M77 in .458) that has no bids. This is it's second time up with no bidders. Do a search on "ruger barrel".

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe it would be wise to add the crossbolt, glass or steel bed the action and check carefully to be sure the tang is relieved enough to avoid splitting. The 416 Taylor will give you great joy and fine results even if you want to reach out a little for plains game.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would people prefer to build there Taylor on the stainless Ruger Action or the Blued One ??

Also if you were to build on the stainless Ruger with the all weather stock, would the all weather stock cope with the recoil, can you bed those plastic ruger stocks ??

I to would like a .416 Taylor.

[ 11-08-2003, 01:14: Message edited by: PC ]

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look hard for a No 1 Tropical take off barrel in 458. With a little machining on the barrel end, setting the shoulder back, and a rechamber you have a nice 458 with a sight ramp, barrel band swivel lug and a nice front ramp that takes removable/changable blades. Plus you can mount a long eye relief scope on the barrel rail in QD Ruger rings.

I have a new one that may go on a M99 MRC. And another in the shop that I will cut the threads off and start over, it goes on a Mauser action for Paul H.

And yes, you will need a second recoil lug on the barrel and a good bedding job. And two cross bolts.

The Ruger all weather stock is a true POS and amplifies recoil directly to your cheeckbone.

[ 11-08-2003, 03:56: Message edited by: John Ricks ]

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, double posted.

[ 11-08-2003, 03:52: Message edited by: John Ricks ]

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have done a 416 Taylor, 425 Express and am shooting a 376 Steyr right know. These are all MK1 rugers. The MK2 is the same demisions for as
the MK1.
A 458 and a 7mm (or any caliber) are all the same thread size.
A 458win, thou not being fashionable, is an excellent choice. I have used a great little 7lb mauser in 458 that was -AWESOME-

ED

Posts: 174 | Location: U.S.A | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I looked at the 458 barrel on EBay and read the seller's description quoted below:

"This is a barrel for a Ruger M77 in .458 Win. Magnum. I removed the this barrel from a brand new rifle. It is 24" long and has the front sight installed. It also has a barrel band to tie it to the stock. No rear sight. 99% plus bluing."

What does the BOLD sentence in the above paragraph mean?

I always thought that barrel bands were for providing a point to attach a sling swivel. In this case, is it used as some type of recoil lug?

[ 11-08-2003, 04:36: Message edited by: Fjold ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
On the original MK 1 458 they used a barrel band that went thru the stock at the point where the front sling swivel would be. This is the old Jeager / griffin howe style of tieing down the whole works. It is quite effective. The original ruger relied a a different reciol lug on the 458 as well. There was an arm that extented forward into the meaty part of the stock. I have seen some of these that where not bedded just right and split anyway.
Reco;
Use your 7mm action and this 458 barrel. Bed the lug on the action, full bed the barrel and use the "barrel" tie down with a screw and escution. Then put the front swivel out on the barrel. Use the AO or NECG rear peep and a patridge front sight.

ED

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have an extra left-hand Ruger 7mm Rem Mag stainless steel rifle with factory laminated wood stock.

Would the factory laminated wood stock handle the recoil of a 458 Win Mag ? Without a barrel mounted recoil lug ?

How about a shortened 470 Capstick to feed through the shorter action ?

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The laminated stock will be fine.
We have done dozens of mauser actioned 458 with nothing but the action lug bedded -PROPERLY- and they are fine for 100's of rounds.

ED

one of us
posted Hide Post
The laminate stocks are generaly the strongest of all. They should be fine with proper bedding.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trademark Texan, et al,

Is the endorsement of laminated wood stocks specific to the Ruger factory model ? Or is it a general endorsement of all laminated wood stocks for dangerous game rifles ?

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote