New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Model 54 Trigger
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone know who may make a replacement trigger for the Winchester Model 54? I called Timney, but they don't make that one. My alternate is to work over the factory trigger, but I would prefer to replace it.

Bill Jacobs

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 329 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take this for what it's worth....I have heard (As in not confirmed) that a M70 trigger can be fitted..however the bolt stop must be changed out

And...apparently G@H did some magic to those 54 triggers..might give them a call just for giggles

Posts: 3509 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First off, I like two stage triggers and my Model 54 breaks crisp at 3 pounds even. I did not like the trigger as a bolt stop so I filled in the notch in the bolt and fitted a Mauser bolt stop (sans ejector). Used a Wisner safety.
If one is going to retro-fit some other trigger, it almost doesn't matter what trigger it is. Whatever it is, you'll be drilling some holes. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3577 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I remember..the bottom of the action was milled out just about identical to the M-70..so using a Mauser trigger, for instance would be an exercise in futility

Frank De Haas mentioned Canjar USED to make one and his book shows how he hand made an adjustable trigger

have fun!

Posts: 3509 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is milled out sort of like a Model 70 and it is probably possible to fit a Model 70 trigger to it you would really have to want to do it. A mauser trigger would be a pain but a Springfield or Enfield trigger might be easy enough. I don't feel like taking mine out of the stock to look at what would have to be done. By the way, I also drilled a new hole for the front guard screw on mine so I could use Model 70 bottom metal. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3577 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is one of those OMG, yes it can be done BUT.

In by gone years ago I modifed several of M54 action into M70 triggers.

The first and formost thing, if the action is the old slow lock, then forget it.

If the action is the later speed lock then OK, the cocking cam and firing pin nose are the same as the M70 and things will line up.

If I had to do it all over, I would put in a Timney trigger unit for the M70. You will have to make shims to go on both sides of the new trigger unit since the slot in the receiver is wider for the M54 sear. The nose of the M70 sear is at an angle while the sear face of the M54 firing pin is 90 degrees, so some rework and fitting there is needed. I had made several new firing pins when I was doing these converisons, but no longer have any.

BUT you have no bolt stop now, most guys were simply buying a Ruger M77 bolt stop and milling the left side of the receiver to properly place the new bolt stop.

Again one of those yes it could be done BUT, If the old parts ( sear and firing pin ) have been monkeyed with, then you may be up a creek.

J Wisner

Posts: 1452 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My original plan was to use a Ruger bolt stop but I decided the Mauser stop was more attractive. I welded a stud on the receiver to attach the stop.
I got the 54 in trade (typically, I came out on the short end) and had to do something with it. Regards, Bill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a canjar trigger that is for the Model 70. In using it in the mod 70 action you will have to open up the inletting a bit and open up the trigger guard slot and that should be it. I tried it on my model 54 action with the trigger guard removed. With the mod 54 cocking piece it will get trapped by the sear on the trigger. The only solution I'm aware of is get a mod 70 cocking piece and possibly make up a new srtriker rod like the original mod 70 so the Canjar trigger ( single set trigger) can be used.Think I got that part right. Frank

one of us
posted Hide Post
Its pretty easy to get used to the two stage slack, and the 54 trigger..I really like the 54s..especially the carbine..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote