New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 70 firing pin
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there a simple way of removing the spring from a post-64 Model 70 Winchester firing pin which does not require special tools?

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I use my bench vise. Clamp the forward end of the spring on a corner of the jaws just enough to hold it, push forward until you can turn the retainer then slowly decompress the spring.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
To further what Duane is taking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZh_GNf_uGM

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I had tried a crude version of your tool, but without the tapered edge. Your video was a perfect illustration of how to do a frustrating job in a simple way.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but it takes all the fun out of it.

coffee

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Special tools get misplaced or dissolved on my metal-dissolving concrete floor. I haven't misplaced my vise...yet...so I'll continue using that instead of investing time into a device I have to make, store, and find when I need it. I'm surprised Brownells doesn't sell those as they sell hundreds of special gizmos you don't really need. Big Grin

John Farner

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I made that tool thingy one day after I had a spring slip in the vise and I chewed all the bark off the back of my hand. But I have also done this for a living for 35 years so everything has a place now and I'm more or less psychically connected and in tune to every tool in the place.

EXCEPT MY FAWKING COFFEE CUP ! That thing has a mind of it's own.

popcorn

Rod Henrickson

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Well, I've only done this for a living for ten years and have so far managed quite well with my vise...as long as I can find it Big Grin. I did make a gizmo for disassembling Remmy striker assemblies, as my customers were insistent that they be able to use them again after I've fiddled with them--customers are funny that way.

Special tools can be great timesaver, and can also greatly reduce the amount of verbal abuse I have to use against uncooperative parts, but for beginning gunsmiths I recommend caution on determining which ones are really necessary and with ones are unneeded fluff and expense. But, of course, "beauty (utility) is in the eye of the beholder (user).

John Farner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen a lot of tools that were about as useful as lipstick on a pig. Hundreds in fact. I've seen others that you just can't work without. The purpose of tools is first to be able to do the job in a fashion that will guaranty that nothing gets scratched, dented, broken or otherwise discombobulated. I have taken apart hundreds of guns that have (VISE CHECKERING) all over their internal workings. Gun tinkerer scratches in the bluing or on the stock. I have also seen countless barrels with pipe wrench marks or actions that have been crushed or have flats on them from Micky Mouse barrel vises and action wrenches. I couldn't even begin to estimate the hundreds of thousands of screws which I have seen fawked up. 99% of all of these types of cluster-fucks are caused by no brains which lead to no tools.

The second reason for having proper tools is to speed up the production. A lot of these tools you don't really need, but if you want to be in business you're going to need them or you will starve. Things like heavy, 50 and 60 inch mills. 40 inch plus lathes, quality belt sanders, solvent tanks, at least ten to fifty of each high quality number, letter, fractional and metric drills and a full assortment of carbide tooling for both lathes and mills. Yes, you can do some damned fine work with a set of die sinkers chisels, wood chisels, files, a few hammers, a set of fractional drills, a hand brace and an old 36 inch back gear bench lathe. In fact you can build as good a gun as any of the big boys. But you won't be paying rent or putting food on the table.

Rod Henrickson

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I agree. I estimate I have at least $100k invested in tools. In fact, just spent over $2,000 on a custom prescription set of surgical loupes, Sam as my dentist wears, which I purchased to use whilst checking--much more useful than the $2,000 microscope I bought a few years ago and I find myself using them for so much more (fabulous for helping me dig metal and wood slivers from my fingers). Between my Bridgeport, my lathe, surface grinder I've got at least $20k in just tooling for those. No, I'm not opposed to having what's needed, but there're some things I've been talked into buying that aren't needed.

John Farner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
But do you notice that as we get older, it gets easier to separate the facts from the bullshit when one of the tool salesmen, road warriors hits yah with the big sell on one sort of tool or another? LOL

I have been trying to buy a set of surgical loups as well. The problem with living in Edmonton is that you can't just go down and look through a few sets. If I could I'd probably have them. Not that I'm a compulsive shopper. Well actually I am. My one doctor pal has a set of Zeiss and my dentist has Leicas. Both are a bit rich to me just to be curios for picking slivers and examining proof marks and carbide threading tools. That doesn't mean I don't want a set.

Rod Henrickson

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Mine are Surgitel. Took 5 months to get the salesman to my shop for the fitting. He didn't want to waste his time as he told me he'd visit many non-dentists, do the fitting and then be told they were too expensive. Mine are 5.5 magnification and correct for the mono vision my eye surgeon gave me. I like good tools.

John Farner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'm a bit leery about the focal length and the power. I would like to try a few to get the feel for them. The two I have tried were both 2.5 power and focused at about 16 inches. I would want closer focus, say 10 or 12 inches and more power. I'm just unsure about how far and how much and it's impossible to get a feel for them without having a few sets to try.

Living on a boil on the buttocks of the earth does have it's drawbacks.

Rod Henrickson

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Focal length on mine is 13" but by changing out a couple simple parts it can be changed. No more sore neck after a day of checking

John Farner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, I certainly started an informative conversation! It has been an education for me, aside from the firing pin spring.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Imagine what we could accomplish with a bottle of whiskey ?

coffee

Rod Henrickson