Find
Notify
Tools

vz24 actions
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted
A question for the pros, is the VZ24 Mauser action worth using for a custom rifle? I see the rifles on sale for almost nothing & wondered if it would be worth using for a custom rifle project.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have several different rifles in several calibers on vz actions. They are very solid and very good as the basis for building onto. Remember that by the time you finish you will have spent way more than you might spend on an off-the-shelf rifle. Of course you will also have a special rifle of your own making.
One note, you should pull the stock to check for rust and pitting of the action, magazine box, before you buy.
Good luck
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree w/Martinez. Also, make sure you get one that has not had the receiver ground(ad may say "markings ground or removed"). This will cause problems when you are ready to mount scope bases as the bases won't line up level. I have compensated for this using shims and bedding compound on the scope bases, but its a real pain. The short Yugo models like the 24/47 are usually unaltered and make fine actions too.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
The VZ's make a great custom. I received mine in Dec. from the gunsmith, in 7x57, and love it. He did surface grind and polish the entire action but it appears that he had to use no shims etc. under the scope mounts. Everything lined up perfectly when I mounted the scope.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Browningguy,
The purpose of surface grinding is to get things where they are supposed to be, with a surface ground action one would never have to shim the scope mounts if done properly...Add a set of custom fitted bases to that and you have a recipe for perfect return to zero quick detachable mounts.....

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Roundbutt>
posted
Bobster I have mixed Weaver scope bases to keep away from shims. The best luck i have had is a 35 front and 55 rear. But i have used 25s and outhers i can not remember now.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Roundbutt, that's a good idea. I'll try that next time. The biggest problem I have had with these receivers is that the grinding was done freehand and thus is uneven. This prevents the scope base from lying flat on the receiver. I've had to drill and tap ,then using shims on the corners, level the front and rear of the base. I then apply some steel epoxy to the bottom of the base and release agent to the shims and tighten it down level till the epoxy sets. then, I remove the shims and touch up the corners w/more epoxy to make it look neat.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote