New
Find
Notify
Tools

Husky 640 safety
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just bought a Husky 640 and while working the action with dummy cartridges, noticed a problem with the safety. About one third of the time, the safety jumps into the upright position when the gun is"fired", preventing the bolt from opening. The gun appears little used but there is wear on the safety engagement surfaces. Do I need a new safety?

Posts: 113 | Location: Maryland 's Eastern Shore | Registered: 03 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You should have a 98 action; after the cocking piece falls, the safety can't jump up.
So whatever is happening with a safety is not good; have to send to someone who knows Mausers.

Posts: 17266 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No expert but it looks like a 96 to me. Maybe it's not a 640 . 96 style shroud and safety. Cocks on closing.

Posts: 113 | Location: Maryland 's Eastern Shore | Registered: 03 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, then that can happen on a 96.. Put some RTV in the safety hole in the bolt shroud and that will dampen it. Commercial safeties have little knubs of nylon inserted into them to keep them from rotating.
Swedish Bubba was fond of grinding and welding their rifles and yours has the safety ground, allowing it to bounce around. A new safety lever will help too. I have had at least a dozen of these...

Posts: 17266 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll PM you.