New
Find
Notify
Tools

M98 Barrel Threading Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want my small ring M98 barrel to index in an additional 90 degrees (one quarter turn). Approximately how many thousands do I need to turn off the barrel torque surfaces to accomplish that?

Thanks

Posts: 266 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
divide the number of threads per inch by one and then divide by 360 and then multiply the answer times 90. Will give you a one quarter (90deg) turn, Ideally. but go slow

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Deleted - see repost - obvious typing/math error!

Posts: 1115 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ssdave:
mauser 98 large ring is 12 tpi. 1 inch divided by 12 is .083" per thread. 1/4 of that is .021. Cut about .018 or if you're confident, .020, and recheck; tighten the barrel at least 3 or 4 times with well oiled threads. Then, recalculate using Jim's method, and do the final cut.

edited to correct my obvious math error on the first post!

Posts: 1115 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Always undershoot on your math with Mausers. The threads are coarse, there are only approximately 4 of them in play and there is always a lot of crush on the face. Take your time, use chicken cuts and sneak up on it while crushing the action on a few times as you go. If you overshoot and have to make another turn you may not have enough thread left. 90% of the time when I overshoot a witness, it's on a Mauser. Bad luck, bad math, or maybe they just HATE me !

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speer, you stated that much more plainly than I did. I agree, I do a preliminary tightening several times on mausers, they creep tighter each time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to add to the info already given . It's important to first determine which shoulder is actually contacting the receiver . I prefer to use the inner and use the ring only if the inner c collar is off .( and I'm too lazy to clean it up )

Posts: 227 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: 03 February 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
divide the number of threads per inch by one and then divide by 360 and then multiply the answer times 90. Will give you a one quarter (90deg) turn, Ideally. but go slow

Or simply divide one by 48 (4x12) and get your answer (.0208). Allow .002 or.003" for crush. Be sure to ascertain on which surface the barrel is currently seating before you cut. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3763 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:

Or simply divide one by 48 (4x12) and get your answer (.0208). Allow .002 or.003" for crush. Be sure to ascertain on which surface the barrel is currently seating before you cut. Regards, Bill

That would be too easy dancing

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your advice.

Posts: 266 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote