Find
Notify
Tools

Straight Bolt Handle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted
Since there were so many comments about the straight bolt handle on my 7x57 here's another one on my Siamese Mauser 30/40 Krag. Don't know who built it but he is definitely a craftsman. The action has been perfectly ground,bolt handle replaced,Timney trigger,low safety (FN style)guard bow reshaped,extractor claw modified,barrel is Douglas premium for an M1 that had threads messed up, sights are Rem 700 takeoffs. Stock is a VERY plain straight piece of English. Don't particularly like the little scnabble but too lazy to remove. The stock wasn't checkered when I got it so Sterling Davenport very kindly put a nice plain English pattern on for me. All in all a very nice rifle that shoots into an inch all day.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Picture number 3's kinda freaky with the bolt knob staring back at us! Big Grin

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nicely done.

I like the stock.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The stock looks like it is patterned after a Mauser Model S, very nice. The schnabel belongs there (both of them).

I've always been a firm believer that a bolt handle should be perpendicular to the bore (regardless of shape). This gives the most leverage and aids in smooth operation.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not as nice as your other one IMHO. this one has had the roundness ground flat at the bolt handle root while on the other one it starts round right at the root and stays that way. More craftsmanship went into doing the other one.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I think what folks like is a bolt that looks as though it GREW out of the root of the handle as 22WRF has refered to.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Here are 3 better views of the bolt root area. It's a pretty uniform transition from flat to round. Not the same as other but not simple either.

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, zimbabwe, for posting your beautiful full-stocked rifle.

I wouldn't be offended if you'd post more images, especially those that might show a little detail of the double schnabel--if I'm correct in thinking this--forend.

I found this beauty on the Griffin and Howe page:

I've been talking this around a little, as I'm considering a full-stocked rifle for my next project, and some think the optimum barrel length is 20"

But this sweet little G&H is only 18" and I think it's perfect.

Also, Kurt C, I'd appreciate it if you'd riff a little more on the Mauser Model S.

Did they have the double schnabel too?

Sorry, I haven't received the Jon Speed Mauser book yet.

Thanks,

flaco

N.B. For me, it's funny, because... although I like--really like--a lot of the full-stocked rifles, I find that unless the the forend is cut to a pleasing contour, I think they can be ugly.

Go figure

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes the model S, or Stutzen, had a double schnabel. The sling swivel was mounted between them. The front schabel was wood, unlike the model M which had a steel tip. Here is link to one that is for sale.

Model S Mauser

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did you have to notch the reciever deeper?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, KurtC-

One of our most knowledgeable contributors suggested that it's impossible to execute an appropriate straight taper from the front guard screw to the muzzle. That a complex curve would be necessary.

The first schnabel handles the problem nicely, dropping down to a smaller stock diameter.

The second advantage is... with the front schnabel, and no nosecap, you're not hanging a piece of steel around the muzzle to change the harmonics of the barrel.

flaco