New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mannlicher Scope base anyone?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a customer with a 1956 Mannlicher in 243 Win. I can see that it at one point either had a sidemount base or was at least drilled and tapped for one. Where can I find one for this gun? I have also been told that there was a 2 piece style that replaced the rear sight with a base and had another base on the reciever. Any information on either one of these would be much appreciated.

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe Redfield made a two piece mount for the mannlicher. I will look I believe I have a new set.... Get back to you tomorrow.

Posts: 369 | Location: lee' summit missouri | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 1952 MS w/ G&H sidemount installed and it is an excellent arrangement. Bought the rifle so equipped and see that G&H still does these mounts, but definitely on the pricey side.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NECG also offers a new one.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently got a set of the Redfield copies made my Wattswalnut for my Hungarian 98/40 that was sproterized (not by me). The mannlichers are very similar but I had to work to fit the mounts. I now know why they say mannlichers are hard to scope.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Redfield mounts go on top and thus obscure the iron sights, plus they are VERY high. IMO a better solution would be a side mount, especially since your rifle is already D&T'd for it. G&H is (I believe) $450 plus ~$350 installation, don't know about the NEGC one.

I have a couple of Jaeger single-lever side mounts and so may be able to help. Also have a few blank unfitted side mount bases that would fit your M-S. Brand-new G&H mount coming soon also....PM me for details if you're interested.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
If my memory serves the later M-S's came with a filler piece in the left side so you would not have to do any wood work when you mounted the G&H mount. The last 270 M-S I had had a G&H mount but it was installed by Pachmeyr. The G&H mount used to require screws AND tapered pins ,thereby requiring a tapered reamer to install properly. I still believe they make one of the neatest and best quick detach mounts available. They are rather pricey and the Redfield reproductions look like a far better deal.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
EAW side mount on a 1950 full stock rifle in 9.3x62.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ordered mounts from Watts Walnut earlier this summer for my MS 458 win mag. It fit good and the workmanship was excellent.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Jaegers are prettier than the g&h.

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help. I need to get the NECG catalog i guess. The website is pretty basic. This gun's stock is already fit for the sidebase, but I dont think he would want to pay the 350$ range for it. The Redfield style looks promising. I will check all these liks out.

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you get a side mount, have them mount the base plate as low as possible, using high rings. That way the rifle still has a low profile with the scope removed.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
KurtC

I hope I am not high jacking this post too badly by inquiring about your Mannlicher. It is extremely clean. Is the stock original? Is it one of your "keepers" or have your ever entertained thoughts of selling or trading it?

Craftsman

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is in near mint condition. One light wear spot on the top of the barrel, from sitting in a rack. This one even has a special order Antinit steel barrel (high chrome content).

I'll part with it if I need a new car Wink