New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plugging screw holes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I think this issue may have been addressed a few months ago, but I've searched the archives and can't find anything.

I need to have an action redrilled and tapped, to move the rear base forward about 1/4." The rear-most screw hole will not be covered by the base and I would like to plug it up as inconspicuosly as possible. Good news is that it still needs to be blued.

Are there any tricks to this, or do I just run a screw in and file it flush with the surface?

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
If you just run a screw in and file it you will have some viods from where the threads are cut. Best to trim it so that there is some material protruding then peen it over to fill the nooks and crannies. Then file it flat.

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It depends on what your plans are for the rifle..as simple plug screw should work as it is under the scope and won't show and thats a freeby..

To do it for a full blown custom, it should be tig welded and surfact ground...that would probably cost $50. to $75.00

Posts: 42159 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote