Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 700 magazine issue-Need Advise
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted
I have Remington 700 270 BDL that I bought used for my nephew. The rifle appears fine but when rounds are pushed down into the magazine, the first one goes down & locks into place, the second round thou will not stay in the magazine, it keeps poping back up into the bolt race way. I can keep it down by putting in the 3rd round, but if this is done it creates a jamb because BOTH rounds pop up. My question is this..........is this a hard issue to have fixed? What needs to be done to make it feed properly?

Other than this issue, the rifle appears to be fine & shoots nice small groups. It will be a great hunter if the loading/ feeding issue can be resolved.

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buck

You say you bought it used. Check to make sure the magazine box is there. Many times a shooter cannot figure out how to get the box back in and simply leaves it out. The last used Rem 7o0 that I bought had that exact problem. Also, may be that the follower is incorrect.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flip the gun upside down, open the floor plate and provided it is there, take a good look at the magazine box. The trigger guard assembly is recessed to encompass and hold the bottom of the magazine box. Sometimes during reassembly, folks unknowingly get the box a little out of whack causing the problems you describe. If needed, pull the trigger guard assembly and magazine box and reassemble it paying close attention to how it fits in the receiver and the trigger guard. After a little study, it is pretty easy to see how it goes back together. Good luck.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If this action was originally a DBM action, the internal BM will not work. The feed rails on the DBM actions were opened up to accept the detachable magazine and will not hold the rounds in a regular mag box.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
This is an older model 700. It is not a detacable magazine version.

The rifle is at my brothers. I will look at it this weekend & let you know what I see. It works for now...........as a "2 shot" One in the pipe & 1 down. I will let you guys know if I see any of the conditions you described.

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone for the help. I just got back from my brothers, It was in fact the magazine box being a little out of whack. An easy fix. I just took it apart & reassembled it paying attention not to cover the feed rails on one side........that is all the problem was.

I am glad it was simple. Like I said, it is a nice shooting rifle. And now it holds more than 2 cartridges LOL. Big Grin