New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger MK II Timney trigger replacement has creep
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just put in a Timney as described in the title and I definitely notice that there is some creep. I tried calling Timney but could not get through. Is this correctable or do I need to just live with it. I have it set at just over 2 lbs.

Posts: 398 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Decrease engagement and increase weight of pull. Test for follow down by rapidly closing the bolt. If it does, you need to increase engagement. Drop test on butt with safety on too. If no joy, send it back for replacement.

quote:
Originally posted by bghntr416:
Just put in a Timney as described in the title and I definitely notice that there is some creep. I tried calling Timney but could not get through. Is this correctable or do I need to just live with it. I have it set at just over 2 lbs.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the reply Bobster. I had no luck. I emailed Timney and they got back to me next day. They stated that there is no adjustment for creep and are sending me an RMA to send the trigger back to them so that they can polish it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve been really disappointed with the last few Timneys I’ve used. The sears had the corners rounded right off on a buffing wheel. I had to surface grind them to restore a sharp edge that I could adjust to a safe, creep free break.
Thats why your trigger has creep, they have to have so much sear engagement to make it safe.
More polishing won’t fix it.

Posts: 640 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Metal, thank you for the reply. I just sent the trigger off in the mail. I am hoping that they will do better than just a little polishing but we will see. If that does not work, I will see if I can totally ruin it with a file. Maybe I will fool with the factory trigger. I put a lighter spring in it but it is still 5 lbs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So was sent a replacement trigger instead of fixing the one I had. It is marginally better. After the input from "metal" about the rounded corners/edges on the sear (and trigger) I understand the issue. I did a little filing on the sear but hesitate to go too far. It is way better than before so I will live with it. Not the best trigger by any means but an improvement over factory. The creep is as bad just squeezing the trigger but when you set up on a bench and squeeze you can definitely feel the creep in it. It is enough that I can partially squeeze, feel it move and stop without the sear releasing. Pretty disappointing. Next time I suppose heed other people's advise and build on a 700 and use a jewel trigger...