New
Find
Notify
Tools

If it's not going to be scoped...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am building a LH 458 Lott on a Montana action. I don't intend that I will ever put a scope on this rifle. I figure it might look 5% prettier if the receiver was never drilled for scope mounts. I'm not much of a gun seller, so I don't care that much about re-sale value.

I think I will ask Montana not to drill the holes. Am I being stupid?

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your choice makes perfect sense. Look how difficult it is to find Mausers and Mannlichers that have not been drilled or dovetailed.

You can always remove metal later, you can't always replace it.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two MRC M99 actions, not drilled/tapped for scope bases. Also had MRC put their logo and serial number below the stock line so the action sides would not be cluttered up.

Both actions are reserved for future big bores, iron sights only.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There it is then. A certain very desirable serial number will not have holes in the top of it.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John,
Do you see your future customers taking these rifles overseas? What will they do about showing the serial number to inquisitive customs agents?

I only ask this because I just received my first custom rifle a few months ago. My smith and engraver thought the serial number didn't add to the looks of the rifle, so put it under the stock line. A few weeks later I'm flying o/s with the rifle and customs agents at both ends want to check the serial number on my paperwork to the rifle. Looks like I'll be travelling with a screwdriver with this rifle to take it out the stock and put it back in, or else get the serial number engraved on it somewhere visible.

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote