New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock for Ruger 77 Mk2
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am planning to restock my Ruger 77 Mk2 in 30.06 . It is my rifle for hunting sambar deer where the odd shot may be at longer range , bu the critical thing needed is to get off quick shots at ranges under 100 yds. I am practising more as I botched a couple of oppurtunities recently as I was too slow.
What I want to do is improve the rifle for fast offhand shots. Quality wise I will stick with McMillan or a Borden Rimrock . So which style of McMillan will suit a Ruger 77 , I don't paticularly want a copy of Rugers' own design. Which of these would be the best for quick offhand shooting ? How do these designs compare with the Borden design ? I am partial to the camo. available in the Rimrocks.

Mark

Posts: 277 | Location: melbourne, australia | Registered: 19 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try contacting http://www.wilddogaustralia.com and ask them if they could fabricate a stock for your Ruger I spoke to their rep at the SHOT Show in Las Vegas and told him where one of the live fire ranges that featured full auto weapons was located.Check with http://www.midwayusa.com .Also try http://www.brownells.com I just looked and they carry syn stocks for Ruger M77's with pictures.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks scr83jp , but Brownells don't carry McMillan or Borden stocks . Having bought cheaper stocks in the past I have decided to stick with proven quality products.
Mark

Posts: 277 | Location: melbourne, australia | Registered: 19 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

The McMillan stock for the Mark II is not a factory clone. In fact it is a great looking stock with a shadowline cheekpiece!

http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan/hunting/ruger.asp

I have two Rimrocks. You cannot go wrong there either!

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don do you have a preference between the McMillan and Borden for snap shooting . Can you detect any difference between them .
Mark

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark smith:
Don do you have a preference between the McMillan and Borden for snap shooting . Can you detect any difference between them .
Mark

Mark,

I like the Borden because it has a nice slender grip, and I have fairly small hands. I like the
shadowline cheekpiece on the McMillan.

If you have the funds, try the McMillan MarkII classic using the "edge" technology. If cost
is a factor, go with the Borden in a blank, as it will come with studs installed and a decelerator pad for less than$220.00 delivered.
(They will assemble at your specified length of pull)

Bedding isn't that hard and Krylon fusion paint sticks like glue. I'm going to send my Borden
mauser stock to Rick Bin for a professional paint job. I like it that much!

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are interested, I have a new, unused, Mcmillan stock for a ruger 77. It was inlet for hte factory barrel channel. Desert camo, with a presentation pad. unused, all work by mcmillan. I can send details and picture if you may be interested.

No waiting, and it is just sitting in my corner, as I bought a lot of 5 mcmillan stocks last year and do not have any use for this one.

Jameister@aol.com

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jameister but desert camo. would'nt be suitable for where I hunt. Thanks for your comments Don , I like the sound of the Borden blank , I have always liked the Realtree camo. versions.
Mark