New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Scope Mounting on Win. Model 70
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The fixed power scopes are shorter than variables. I too like the scope to be even with the back of the tang, but look through the scope first, those Leupold have very generous eye relief. You might try reversing the front rings, if that doesn't do it, you might have to get a different style of base and rings.

I love Talley products, if I can, I always use their products.

Aaron

Posts: 174 | Location: Utah | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I reversed the front to get where I'm at now. Still need some more rearward adjustment.

Posts: 317 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had to use a Leupold reversible front base to mount a Leupold 3x9 Compact on a long action M70. I think Redfield also makes a reversible set of bases and I suppose there are others.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the leupold reverse front bases on all my winchesters too.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This sounds like the way I need to go. Can these be had so that both the front and rear base use the dove tail rings?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I mounted a Leupold 6x36 in Talley lightweight 2 piece rings on a Win. Model 70 Super Grade 30-06 last night. I have the scope as far back as it will go, but I feel like I need another �� or so. I would like for the back of the scope to be about even with the back of the tang. Where it�s at now I feel like I have to creep up to far on the stock to get the proper eye relief.

This in my first Model 70 so I don�t have any experience with them. Are there any mounting systems out there that would give me some more range of movement on the scope? The Leupold is only 11.5� long so that hurts me some. I�m sure with all the Winchester fans here, someone can help me out.

First impressions of the new gun are very good. I bought the gun sight unseen, but the wood is MUCH better than I expected. The fit and finish to my eyes looks great. Scope mount holes seem to be straight. It should be against the law to ship a gun out with a 10 lb. trigger, but I�ll get that fixed.

Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wyatt,

Check this link out, I think you'll find out everthing you need to know.

http://www.leupold.com/resources/MountFitChart/default.asp

Posts: 1018 | Location: Lafourche Parish, La. | Registered: 24 October 2002Reply With Quote