New
Find
Notify
Tools

Feeding problems CZ 527 in .22 Hornet
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a CZ 527 American in .22 Hornet that does not feed shells very well.

As you move the bolt forward the shell proceeds forward toward the chamber at an angle of between 20 and 30 degrees and gets hung up in the top of the receiver ring.

This is a clip fed model. Any ideas?

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As in most feeding problems with magazine fed rifles the fault is in the magazine. Without seeing the problem occuring it's really hard to diagnos but I guess the feed lips are too far apart. Buy a spare mag(you need one anyway) and compare. I have the FS model (all 527's are magazine fed) in 22 Hornet and in 223.. I find both extremely accurate and great shooters. The Hornet is a real favorite. No recoil and will even do a coyote as long as we don't stretch things too much... Great rifle for the price(and even a bit more).. Good luck!

Posts: 49 | Location: central Missouri | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gunnut,

that should be an easy fix for someone in the know. I have a cz hornet and I love it, ther an accurate fun little rifle, I load the 45 gr sierra .224 bullet pushed by 11 gr of win 296 with rem 7 1/2 primer and ren case. OAL is 1.71" this is the load my rifle likes it does not seem to like win primers ??

(above load is safe in my rifle, reduce by 10% & work up if you wish to try this load)

[ 10-11-2003, 02:22: Message edited by: PC ]

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CZ's are known for hard feeding out of the mag. The .223 I had did a similar job of feeding and I took the mag apart and polished the underside of the feed lips with a round ceramic stone. It made all the difference in the world. It really gripes me that CZ makes such a fine shooting rifle with a super trigger and almost every one of the 572's won't feed out of the mag worth a darn. On mine the bolt had to be pushed from directly behind, (not by the handle) to get it to feed out of the mag at all, even after the polishing. On mine also, getting the mag out of the rifle took three people, two to pull and one to cuss, it was that tight a fit. I suppose it will all wear in, in time, but it's a hassle. But, man do they shoot.

[ 10-11-2003, 14:15: Message edited by: Bobby ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Both my 527's work just great.. The Hornet feeds great and was easily the best shooting hornet of those I own(a Winchester M54 with 20x targetspot, and a Kimber'of Oregon' w/6x Leupold). The 223 ate just about anything well but has a softspot for Nosler BallisticTips. They all fed just fine..even the spare mags I ordered for both. Sounds to me as if something is dragging. Have you spoken with CZ abut the feeding difficulties. From what I've heard their customer service is great.

Posts: 49 | Location: central Missouri | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe CZ is listening to their customers about this then, the other gun companies shure aren't. My neighbor is the biggest CZ fan around these parts and has been for a long time. He has .22lr, 22 hornet, .223, .222, and a .270. All except the .270 have rough operating bolts, and all feed rough from the magazines. They did smooth up some with time, but they still are not what you would call smooth by any means. The .223 and hornet, he gave up on from the mag and feeds them single shot, it doesn't matter to him. They shoot so good he's willing to overlook it.
I know he's emailed CZ a time or two about his problems, but I don't think he spent to much time following up on it.
I really hope CZ is making some changes to their rifles, they really are fine guns, feeding and roughness on the bolt being the only complaints.