Find
Notify
Tools

M98 Crest
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Can you identify this crest?
This M98 was made by Mauser-Werke (logo is on left receiver wall) in 1941. I believe this was an export rifle that also saw service in the German army as it has numerous waffenampt.
Unlike most export rifles, there is no country name on the receiver ring to accompany the crest. Haven't been able to find a picture of the crest in Ludwig Olson's book.

Many thanks, Roger

Posts: 477 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Of course I can! The crest is the flag of Portugal.
It's a Portuguese. M1937; yours was made in 41; many were diverted to the German Army, and they are quite valuable. Yours is Waffen proofed.
Unless they have been drilled, then, not so much, as in, originals are worth $4k. Drilled ones are worth, $.4K.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
According To Ludwig Olson, that is a Portuguese coat of arms. (Mauser Bolt Rifles, Page 186.)

Olson notes that "Due to the urgent German need for small arms during World War II, many rifles intended for Portugal were used to arm German troops."

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help! I knew I could expect a prompt answer.

The rifle is a WWII bring back and was subjected to an economy sporterization in the '60s for the veteran's son. The grandson now wants to finish the project and do it right. The action will be built into a 9.3x62.

Posts: 477 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcdRed Faceriginals are worth $4k. Drilled ones are worth, $.4K.
you’re talking complete rifles right? I have a couple of bare un-D&T’d 1937 receivers (I’m building on one at the moment)…

Posts: 124 | Location: Australia - NSW | Registered: 04 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Once they are butchered from totally original configuration, they are action level pricing. the $.4K figure is a estimate for an Oberndorf action.
Unless you have just disassembled it from an all matching rifle, in which case you should cease and desist and return it to military configuration.
I would not make a sporter out of it because I have barrels, stocks, and parts to restore it. Too many plain Jane Mausers out there to destroy one of these. But in the 50s, they were just old Mausers and no one cared.
They are quite collectable.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve got some of these actions too! dancing

Posts: 640 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Must have been from the German Portuguese Australian lend lease program.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You see original Portuguese K98’s over here for $5000 + asking price.

Posts: 640 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metal:
I’ve got some of these actions too! dancing
yeah they tick a lot of boxes ay. The bloke I bought them off had a bucket of them, most of them badly pitted below the wood line. I picked the two best. He said some bloke imported a container load in the 1970s and they were dirt cheap… I’d had another one a few years before and sold it before I realised my error - there are obviously still a few kicking about! I just need to find a BM/bolt etc. for my other one

Posts: 124 | Location: Australia - NSW | Registered: 04 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Must have been from the German Portuguese Australian lend lease program.

Could it be you mean Austrian?

Posts: 5119 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Definitely not: If I write something, that is what I mean.
How so many Portuguese Mausers got to Australia: no one mentioned Austria. Even we hillbillys in the middle of the US know the difference.
Now, you might not have read many of my posts that contain elements of humor; it's ok, many AR members don't get it either.