Find
Notify
Tools

m1 garand question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of byf42
posted
have a problem with a m1 garand. most of the time, it shoots great. once in a while, such as this past weekeend, when you squeeze the trigger, it will not fire. when you pull the trigger, it will not release the hammer from the sear. its like if you took the trigger group out, cocked the hammer, and put some pressure on the hammer with your finger, and pulled the trigger back. when this happens, the trigger is very tight, and it takes a couple of times to get it to release the hammer and fire the rifle. it is a International Harvester trigger group, with a WRA marked hammer. It is like brand new, ith no visible wear. what could be the problem? any help or suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!

*We Band of 45-70er's*

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Posts: 497 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would try the disconnector and see if there is any condition that causes it to bind as a starting point. when it does not fire, is it because the hammer doesn't drop or because you cannot pull the trigger? Which way are you putting pressure on the hammer, forward or to the rear?
PM me if you need more help.

Posts: 222 | Location: Central Iowa | Registered: 16 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Pull it down and look to see if something is physically blocking the movement of the sear/disconnector, trigger or hammer. Make sure the pins are in place and that there are no broken pieces.

Are you sure the hammer is not following the bolt home? Next time it does it, before opening the bolt, look in through the ejection port and see if the hammer is forward.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of byf42
posted Hide Post
impingement-
PM sent

Westpac-

the hammer cocks, but wont disengage from the sears. nothing is broke or in the way. What makes it weird is that it doesnt do it all the time.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Posts: 497 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
any progress?

Posts: 222 | Location: Central Iowa | Registered: 16 May 2009Reply With Quote