Find
Notify
Tools

swapping bolts (mini mauser)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
I have a 7.62x39 boltface Daly Mini Mauser action. Can I just swap the bolt with a 223 boltface. I guess I'll need the box, follower, etc...

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
new bolt will change the headspace & i'm not sure you can get one

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Rich
Here's a pic of a 223 action on the left and a 7.62 action on the right.

The bolts should interchange, but going from large to small would pose some feeding challenges. As well as headspace, trigger, safeties, extractors, needing to be regulated.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1860 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
The bolts should interchange, but going from large to small would pose some feeding challenges. As well as headspace, trigger, safeties, extractors, needing to be regulated

ASSUMING you can find a bolt. Best bet try an action swap.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Here's the story

1 complete .223 rifle
1 7.62 action

swap 7.62 bolt to 223 action ream to 22ppc
swap 223 bolt + box etc.. to 7.62 action add 300blk barrel.

I guess not!

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
You are already taking about rebarelling one rifle to 300BLK. So, why not rebarrel the .223 to .300 BLK? Then you could take the barrel you removed (.223) and put it on the 7.62 action. You will need to have that barrel set back and rechambered to 22PPC. Setting the barrel back (cutting the chamber and rethreading) will be required to go from .223 to .22 PPC.

1. Buy .300 BLK barrel and fit it to the rifle currently chambered in .223
2. Have the .223 barrel you removed fit to the 7.62 action, set it back and rechamber for .22 PPC.

You will still only be buying one barrel and both rifles will retain their original bolts.

Am I missing a reason this cannot be done?

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Grenadier

I think that is the best idea.

Rich

quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
You are already taking about rebarelling one rifle to 300BLK. So, why not rebarrel the .223 to .300 BLK? Then you could take the barrel you removed (.223) and put it on the 7.62 action. You will need to have that barrel set back and rechambered to 22PPC. Setting the barrel back (cutting the chamber and rethreading) will be required to go from .223 to .22 PPC.

1. Buy .300 BLK barrel and fit it to the rifle currently chambered in .223
2. Have the .223 barrel you removed fit to the 7.62 action, set it back and rechamber for .22 PPC.

You will still only be buying one barrel and both rifles will retain their original bolts.

Am I missing a reason this cannot be done?