THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swede Mauser cocks on close - can I switch to...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
cocking on opening the action? During a few shooting sessions with my son, this rifle gets a bit "pushy" when it comes to closing the action. Shoots great, is accurate, typically low recoil, would like to change ation to cock on opening.

In any case, is this a difficult job? I'm kind of ok with simple stuff, and would be the first to call in a quialified gunsmith if there were any issues possible...

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Ed Lapour makes a setup to convert to cock-on-opening but it's pricey (beautiful, tho).

http://www.edlapourgunsmithing.com/

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.daytraco.com/

Dayton Traister has been offering what you need.
Probably more of their conversions out there than all others combined.

Greg

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Close it like you mean it. Forward and down in one fast stroke. Slam it home, don't pussy foot around with it. It's not a Remchester where the handle will fall off, it's a Mauser and is ment to be used by men.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailgunner:
Close it like you mean it. Forward and down in one fast stroke. Slam it home, don't pussy foot around with it. It's not a Remchester where the handle will fall off, it's a Mauser and is ment to be used by men.

I would say that it is your rifle and if you want it to cock on opening then you should have it that way. Would probably make it like your other rifles,too. Which is a good thing.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I've got 2- 96's converted to cock on open with the Dayton Traister kit. My advice is to buy the cock on open kit only and not the Dayton Traister kit with the trigger, get a Timney instead. I had my gunsmith do both for me and they are great. I like all my rifles being similar in function so there is no getting used to each one. I always thought that cock on close felt awkward especially at the bench.
You can order the kit from Brownell's or Midway.
Have fun with your Swede.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a swede and 2 1917 enfields, all sporterized and are still cock on close. But, if I had a cock on open, something would have to change. Snellstrom is correct, check with Brownells, they offer just the kit (in my older catalog ).

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote