New
Find
Notify
Tools

Noisy synthentic any good paints, coatings
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I love my ssynthetic stocks, but the biggest disadvantage to me is the strange noises made when something rubs up agaist it, such as a twig or a thorn. Some factory stocks how a very distinct hollow thud when rapped also. The better synthetics did not seem to not have this problem.

I search the archives and found various recommendations on painting the stocks.

I wonder if anyone else noted this and saw a significant redction in noise with any of the paints/coatings? Anyone found a ruberized coating?

I liked the coating on Houges Overmolded, but I did not care much for the stock (simple person preference on weight, fit, and feel when I shouldered it, no knock on the stock)

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Try the spray on rubberized truck bed liner material.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
try a nice oil finish on a pretty piece of walnut. very quiet

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fjord-
I actually own a Brown stock that a friend had Rhino Lined. It added so much weight and bulk to the stock that he thought it was ruined and he gave it to me. I was able to peel off the coating with some work and the thing is functional now.

Try Brownells spray grit topped with Aluma-hyde. Tough stuff. Depending on you stock, filling the butt with Great Stuff or another noise dampening material may help.

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
You have to fill up the hollow in order to get rid of the "drum" sound. Great stuff foam works good or glue some pine lumber in there. That is the way to go if you ever plan on cutting the stock down.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fill the butt with spray foam, spray hell out of the stock with that rubber undercoating as mentioned above and then give it to your bother inlaw you don't like Smiler Then get wood stock or Lam stock etc.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think laminate may give the best of both worlds, or a McMillan but there $$

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
DO NOT use the foam that expands a lot! Some of them ex[pand so much that they will split your stock if you try to fill the hollow with one spray.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have something you can try. It's a rubber material called HtPB that when mixed with a curative forms a layer that will be bonded to the stock. It isn't affected by common cleaning solvents and won't get gooey in hot weather. Just let me know if you want to give it a try.

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote