Find
Notify
Tools

SAKO 222
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of solvi
posted
I am thorn between keeping my SAKO heavy barrel riffle in the original state or rebarreling it with a 223 fluted something, like Hart or something similar. It�s an old Sako with a Carl Jena Zeiss sins before ww 2. It has original Sako rings. The same scope as seen in the picture.
Enemy at the gates used by the German sniper.
The gun is a SAKO Riihim�ki 222. Serial number 32492A and I think that I will be destroying a peace of some value by messing with it. What do you think.
S�lvi

Posts: 497 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 27 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi S�lvi!

The old Sakos are indeed nice guns that useally shoots really good as well. I don�t whant to dissapoint you but the value of the old Sakos isn�t THAT high, at least not here in Sweden.

If you keep the original barrel when/if you put an new one on the rifle you can turn it back to it�s "old" state if you would like.

Here in Sweden I regulary se used Vixens sell for aprox. 250-400 US$

Good luck with your rifle, with or without a new barrel on it [Big Grin]

Stefan.

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That gun in the states in excellent condition would fetch $1200. US.......

I see little advantage in the 223 over the wonderfull 222...I like the quit little 222, that pulverized the lungs and heart of my grandsons deer this year, with a 60 gr. Horn. HP at 250 yards...It ran 20 yards.....

The 222 has set many a bench rest record and it leaves litte to be desired...In fact my only real varmint rifle is in that caliber..I have a 6x45 but I hunt mostly deer size animals with it....

You have a wonderfull rifle and caliber, why fix something that ain't broke...brings to mind the old proverb " A fool and his money are soon parted"....meaning no flame on you.

Posts: 42154 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have Sakos about the age of yours in BOTH .222 and .223 (as well as .222 Magnum). The .222 is a tad more accurate, and as far as power and range, there is no practical difference. My advice is to leave your gun alone.

If you did rebarrel, unless you replaced it with EXACTLY the same barrel contour (which I gather you would NOT be doing), your stock would have to be rebedded, so you wouldn't have the option of going back to the original barrel.

By the way, Solvi, what kinds of game do you shoot with your .222 in Iceland?

I'll take all of the $250 used Sakos you'll send me, Stefan!

[ 11-25-2002, 21:35: Message edited by: Stonecreek ]

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote