New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel for Renmington 700...weight
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone know what the difference in weight is between a standard barrel and the mountain profile. I am wondering just the barrel weight, not the whole gun. The reason for the request is I was in a bad auto accident (went under a semi) and had a major back injuring. I am trying to get back in to rifle hunting and have a Rem Sportman 78 (cheap 700 clone) in 30-06. I just can't handle carrying it as it is to heavy after an extended period. I have replaced the stock (got a used Lone wolf) and that helped some but I am thinking of replacing the barrel with the mountain profile since I have found a few take-off barrel for less than $100. Money is an object here. Otherwise I would have just bought a Kimber Montana. Or would I be better of having my origanl barrel turned or an aftermarket barrel installed? The barrel on it now will shoot MOA with good loads so I am a little hesitant to replace it.

Anyone have a cheap take-off barrel?

Thank you,
Keith

Posts: 153 | Location: God's country Northern Minnesota | Registered: 29 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your back problems. I, like you, have had problems from a fall in 6-76. Four subsequent surgeries and still going somehow. [3 surgeries in Hawaii by Cloward in 77, 79 and 84] The Mountain rifle barrel is a good deal lighter than the standard barrel on a Rem 700 but the stock is another thing too! Try and find a take off Rem Ti stock as it`ll drop the weight down a bunch and a lot cheaper than the McMillan or Brown. I have been building light weights since 1977 and my own personal rifles all are under 6lbs. Still get tired though but I guess at 67 its a done deal.

Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Thanks for the reply. I already replaced the stock with one from Lone Wolf. That reduced it by nearly a pound. That is why I am now looking for a different barrel to see if I can lighten it more without doing a bunch of expensive machine work. It is an inexpensive rifle and I really don't care if it wins an beauty contest, just functional. In the long run I will probably have as much in it as if I bought one of the new Kimbers but at least this way I don't need to shell out over a $1,000 at once.

Are you in Hawaii? I will be returning on Sunday. My wife is stationed on Oahu and I come back to the mainland for the summers to work on my farm and of course for hunting season. Smiler

Keith

Posts: 153 | Location: God's country Northern Minnesota | Registered: 29 March 2001Reply With Quote