New
Find
Notify
Tools

Empire in the House
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well I picked up my new Empire rifle today, .270 Win, with detachable box magazine option. The fit and finish are superb. The integral scope mounting is great, and George's custom rings are sweet! I checked out the tube with my borescope, and it is just flat excellent. It looked great to the naked eye, and the borescope proved that to be true.

We had nightmares getting the Walnut stock for this rig, so George just started over, with apologies, and shipped me my rifle in Synthetic until the stock gets wrapped up. The test targets shipped with the rifle confirmed Georges assertions that his rifles will shoot, we talk frequently, and he had already told me the results--.528 @ 100 yards, with my preselected factory ammo, Win Supreme 140 gr Accubonds.

I will get to the range this weekend, weather being decent, and put her through the paces, I'm anxious to see if I can duplicate or better George's shooting with this rig, .528 with factory fodder is pretty strong by my standards, but that is what I bought this rifle for! I'm sure with a little trigger time and some load tuning it will really 'come on in' to the proverbial sub .5"

Being a custom rifle the fit is excellent, and the syn stock is OK, good looking finish--the black and white speckle style....

The only issue I have--is the shape of the stock. George and I are working on it, but mostly due to the DBM feature, the rig looks pregnant in the area around the magazine. I'll try to post a few pics later---George has been great about being willing to work with me to get the rifle just how I want, it'll be interesting to see what we come up with, but despite any headaches, I have really enjoyed working with George, and am planning another project with him right now!

Regards--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Hey Fish!

Outstanding...congrats on taking delivery.

Did your pard's rifle show up as well? I hope he is as pleased as you are...

Keep us posted on the accuracy trials. When you'd mentioned that these were supposed to be "dart throwers" I hoped that didn't mean being able to hit an 18" disk from across the room! Wink

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 610 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
218, my friends rifle still had a few wrinkles George wanted to iron out before shipping, and I think he also was still waiting on the specific scope my friend had specified. It should be here soon though. He actually came by tonight to fondle my new rifle though...

My rig has a Schmidt & Bender scope on it, my first, and I am really liking it just glancing around out the back, I can look out a long ways, my house sits up over a lake, so I can take a peak for a few thousand yards if I want.

Hope to get it to the range quick.

Regards--D

one of us
posted Hide Post
gnmkr, Empire is in Meriden New Hamshire.

George Sandmann is the principal. The actions are made to his specifications somewhere in Europe, machined from single billet for most models, but there is a cast action for some models as well. He uses some compnents from various suppliers, i.e. the barrels are from Bill Wiseman, (whom I haven't had a barrel from before--but I will again) rings are custom made for Empire out of house--I think by Blackburn-- etc.

George has some local craftsman he utilizes for stockwork, he hasn't told me who, but it is a process that he coordinates closely, but not 'in house' at this time. I'll try and post some pics later.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fish, congrats on the new rifle. Which action did you get the 98S or 98L? I'm looking forward to hear more about it, I've been thinking of buying one of their actions for a project........DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen:

First, Fish thanks for the great feedback, looking forward to our continued work together.

Second, one clarification: the actions (and rifles) are 100% made in the USA. Fish's rifle is an Empire Standard Rifle, using the 98S action. The actions are CNC machined from steel billet; we use plate for the bolts to allow us to have the bolt handles integral, as opposed to welded on. We use EDM extensively. These are indeed Wiseman barrels, our reputation for accuracy speaks to the barrel's quality --to which Fish can attest.

We offer the Western European FN Mauser 98K as a $300 option.

Thanks for all of the interest in our rifles, please drop me a note if I can answer particular questions. Best, --George

Posts: 18 | Location: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: 23 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sandman, Welcome to the forum! I've been considering buying one of your actions for a future project or two. I didn't see on your
Website were you gave a price for a barreled action. Also is the biggest difference between the 98s and 98L the 3rd locking lug? Looking forward to hearing more from you in the future.........DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, my bad on the european manufacture of the action George--ooops--I knew you imported something...

Here are some pics--it's raining like craazy right now, but I may go to the range anyway--cabin fever and itchy trigger finger--brutal!