New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel Turning
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If I turn a 22 RF barrel holding the barrel with a collet and the chamber in a live center, will it wreck the edge of the chamber? The object is to modify a barrel to fit a 513T, which is pinned as opposed to threaded. I haven't turned a barrel before, would rather I didn't cause problems.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14631 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make a piece of brass to cover the center.

Posts: 1295 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
What he said; don't put the center directly onto either the chamber or muzzle unless you want to clean them up later.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J_Zola:
Make a piece of brass to cover the center.

Thanks, I will make one with angles to fit the center.

The barrel tenon is 1". Would there be any benefit over a brass center, to make a round cup that fit snug over the end of the tenon, with a center cut?

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Posts: 14631 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Just more work for no benefit. I use sheet brass and make the center punch through it. Or you can get fancy and machine a bore fitting plug (or in your case, a chamber fitting plug) with a center recess in it.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Just more work for no benefit. I use sheet brass and make the center punch through it. Or you can get fancy and machine a bore fitting plug (or in your case, a chamber fitting plug) with a center recess in it.

I had started a bore-fitting plug, but it sounds like the path of wisdom is the brass sheet. Thank you.

TomP

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brownells sells brass protectors called Crown Savers.

Posts: 1743 | Registered: 25 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
If I turn a 22 RF barrel holding the barrel with a collet and the chamber in a live center, will it wreck the edge of the chamber? The object is to modify a barrel to fit a 513T, which is pinned as opposed to threaded. I haven't turned a barrel before, would rather I didn't cause problems.

Collet? is this a straight taper barrel Confused

years ago I started cutting a center in the primer pocket of the appropriate case. Works great so long is chamber is not sloppy. Never tried it on a rimfire.

Wally
Waggoner Rifles

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wallyw:
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:

Collet? is this a straight taper barrel Confused

years ago I started cutting a center in the primer pocket of the appropriate case. Works great so long is chamber is not sloppy. Never tried it on a rimfire.

It isn't straight, it's a 40X rimfire barrel. I think the collet grips it enough to turn the rest of it straight if the cuts are light. I had thought about putting a fired case in the chamber to cushion the edge of the chamber but am concerned that it might get stuck.

TomP

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make a brass pin that fits the chamber tight and center drill it for your center. I do this to true outside of barrel ends before setting them up to chamber them.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote