New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stuck shotgun choke
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need some ideas as mine are not producing any results yet.
I had a Browning Invictor plus BPS 12G brought in that has a stuck choke. actually I am wondering if it has grown in.
The owner said it has not been removed since he got it in 2001.
At this point I have plugged the muzzle and poured it full of Kroils oil intermediately heating it with a heat gun then letting it cool. Tried freezing and they heating the barrel no luck so far. I did make a wrench with hardened pins to help in removal. I have been messing with it for a week like this.
I wonder if anyone might have another idea. Saving the choke is not necessary option as he wants to change to turkey chokes.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A very old trick used when choke tubes first went from lead to steel....glass bed an 8" steel rod in the tube. Grab with vise grips or before bedding make parallel flats on the exposed end and use a big Crescent wrench for leverage.

Make sure you degrease the choke tube inside and make sure it has a little ruffage for the glue to grip on on the rod too.

Of course the barrel is placed in a padded vise that will hold it still and not twist as you are applying torque.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Earl Smith:
A very old trick used when choke tubes first went from lead to steel....glass bed an 8" steel rod in the tube. Grab with vise grips or before bedding make parallel flats on the exposed end and use a big Crescent wrench for leverage.

Make sure you degrease the choke tube inside and make sure it has a little ruffage for the glue to grip on on the rod too.

Of course the barrel is placed in a padded vise that will hold it still and not twist as you are applying torque.

This is the sure fire way. I use 5/8 and 3/4 hex head cap screws dedicated for this purpose. De-grease the inside, bead blast the threads on the screws, and hold the barrel in a barrel vise and they all come out. After its out, heat it up with a propane torch til the glue starts to smoke and stink and the screw will knock out easily. 99% of the time you can save the choke tube. If they fired steel in a tube meant for only lead, it is deformed and needs replacing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a browning bps brother the guy used as a funnel to pour gas into truck put behind and left I soared in krill and got a big easy out the brownell sell and it came right out have used on a lot of stuck choke tube it does not hurt tube

Posts: 369 | Location: lee' summit missouri | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
The Browning/Miroku invector choke tubes are threaded at the bottom so an eziout applied at the muzzle end of the choke (thicker end as well) is not going to damage or lock the thread in the barrel or choke tube anymore than it already is.

Not sure what type of choke wrench is supplied with the Brownings but the Miroku wrench for the identical invector chokes locates into the four notches and has a short handle one side which you can give a good tap to with a small hammer while holding the wrench down into the slots with your thumb. This is more likely to shock the choke tube loose.
I use this method when installing my Miroku chokes, just a light rap with a screw driver handle on the wrench handle. Tubes never come loose and a light rap to undo them. I do apply a smear of never-seize grease to the choke threads without fail too.

Posts: 3880 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After eliminating all the wrong ways to remove a stuck tube, I have found THE way. I've had lots of practice as Benelli shotguns and waterfowl hunting are very popular in western Missouri. If you can get a rusted Benelli tube out, everything else is a piece of cake.

Brownell's now sells a choke removal tube for less than $10 that is actually nothing more than a big-ass Mayhew screw extractor. You can probably source one elsewhere for less but you would need the exact size. I can look that up if you need it. It is a tapered square with sharp corners biased to remove right hand thread. Do not try a standard easy-out with the helix teeth. The helix is designed to tighten as you turn it counterclockwise and WILL flare the muzzle of the shotgun.

Lock the barrel in a padded vise. (Barrel vise for a single barrel.)

Gentling tap the extractor into the choke. The trick is to tap it in hard enough to get a bite, but not become a swaging tool.

Turn it with a large tap handle. If the tool turns in the tube, STOP. Reset it with your mallet.

Once the tube is out, clean the barrel thread with oil and a stiff brush. The tube is more than likely trash. I've had to chase the threads on occasion but that is rare. Use anti-seize without fail.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 544 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You don't need to save the tube? Set it up in the lathe and bore it out.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
i went through that some years ago... it played hell and a week or so soaking in kroil and lots of persuasion before it finally gave up and loosened up.

What I learned since... NEVER screw a choke into a barrel without using a dab of never-seize... i have use the copper type use for automotive as well as the nickel. Never had the problem again..

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Maybe try a choke tube wrench that you can adapt it to an impact driver, after soaking it of course in Kroil.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is still an ongoing project I am trying any and all ideas to save the barrel.

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
You don't need to save the tube? Set it up in the lathe and bore it out.

I would do this only as a very last resort as your lathe set up and work would have to be extremely exacting to prevent damaging the very fine thread in the barrel. Shave the tops of the thread as you can afford to do on coarse threads but in this instance and there is not much left.

Even if successful in turning out the choke body the remaining interlocked threads maybe difficult to pick out without damaging the fine barrel threads.

If all else fails might have to be the way to go.

Posts: 3880 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An accurate setup is important. One needs to indicate the ID of the tube to run true, not a small task. Use another of the same make tubes and measure it to get a dimension to bore to. Picking out the threads left is a piece of cake.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with the Brownell's tool. Destroy's the tube but works well.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
They make Easy-outs for removing broken pipe nipples. Should be about the right size for choke tubes.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would some one give me the contact information on the company that is I believe in Texas. I need to send this barrel out to get the choke tube out. I do not want to ruin the barrel.
I did make a wrench out of hex stock turned to fit the tube with hardened pins to fit the slots. Even with an impact wrench with a end wrench to back it up still will not budge. Its been soaking in Kroils for two weeks Since a replacement barrel is over $350 I need an expert.

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not see it list but I would contact http://users.dls.net/~rdouglas/MikeOrlen.pdf He seems to be held in high regard.

Posts: 1288 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Contact Trey or Dustin at Southland Gun Works in Darlington, SC.

southlandgunworks@sc.rr.com

They are a Browning service center. I work there and we have special tools to remove it.

Bob

Posts: 3713 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobster
I will give them a call on Monday,
Thanks

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Earl Smith:

This is a brilliant idea and one which I would not have thunk-up on my own. I'm putting this in my memory-bank.

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Any update on progress, always nice to know the resolution for learning sake.