New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it required
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If gunsmith alters a chamber, but doesn't change cal. is he required to stamp the barrel?
Saw a Browning 1885 that was a 45-70(and is marked that way)chamber has been altered to a 45-120?????

Posts: 369 | Location: lee' summit missouri | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I would think so. Don't see any reason why they wouldn't.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Do not think it is required but would be very smart to do so.

Posts: 19581 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Although I haven't looked up the statute I'm told by reliable source it is required by Federal Law. Frankly, I don't give a damn about it being law, it's common sense.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll go with what John says.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You run into this sometimes. Quite a few people have had 458 rechambered to Lott, and the barrels are not always remarked. I had a 45-70 Ruger rechambered to 45-120 years ago when BELL first reintroduced the cases. The smith didn't mark it, but it made little difference, as both would chamber and shoot without a problem, much like the 458/Lott.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
While in Gunsmith school I rechambered a 45-70 86 Winchester to 45-90 and there was considerable discussion at the time whether to stamp a 9 over the 7 or just leave it as it was. This was a rather deluxe 86 with set trigger shotgun butt fancy checkered wood and special sights. Decided it would look crummy if overstamped so left it as 45-70. I think it was the right decision at the time. Today I would make an effort to find the absolute proper 9 stamp and overstamp it.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote