Notify
Tools

swiff soldering paste
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted
Swiff soldering paste:

I've been thinking about trying some on a sight job.

Has anyone else ever used this product?

If so, any opinion?

Timan

Posts: 1225 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All the soldering pastes I know of are mixed with an acid flux, and I try to avoid getting that between pieces of metal if there is any chance of a void.

Howsomever, the paste works great for tinning the two parts. Then you can remove any acid residue before joining them with an acid free flux and a little wire solder.

Glenn

Posts: 254 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used it and thought it worked well. Just had a conversation about it with another gunmaker earlier today. How ironic! Bet I had not talked about that solder with anyone in the past 5 years. Anyway, the other guy is a hell of a lot better gunmaker than me, plus he had even more experience with it. He even said he tested it before and it was strong stuff.

I had no problems with the stuff, but then I also live in the Gopher State. If I was a Cheesehead I have no doubt I would have problems with acid rusting everything, because I would have problems walking and chewing tobacco at the same time if I were a CHeesehead. Gophers are automatically better at everything compared to Cheeseheads. It is just the way God inteded it to be I guess, so I don't want CHeeseheads feeling bad if their sodler makes stuff rust. Well, if one particular guy gets his feelings hurt I won't loose too much sleep over it. Big Grin

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote