New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remove Ruger 77 Barrel Band Sight
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for best way to remove the barrel band sight from an old model Ruger 77 .338. Would like to do least amount of damage to sight ,as the barrel is going to be cut, and sight reinstalled.Thanks

Posts: 222 | Location: Alaska- The Greatland | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is this too hard to do? Any ideas?

Posts: 222 | Location: Alaska- The Greatland | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've not taken one off, but looking at the parts break down for those Ruger 77 rifles that have them, they show the banded front sight base as having a set screw that sits under the sight blade. I don't know, but you might try removing the front sight blade and the set screw, and with a hammer and wooden block, give it a whack.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of front sights I picked up at a local gunshop from the parts drawer. In addition to the set screw they appear to have been sweated on, you may want to apply some heat before administering the afore mentioned Whack.

Posts: 367 | Location: South east Georgia | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your sights came off of a large caliber Ruger,I probably would buy one if you want to sell one.Thanks

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I had a smith pull one off a #1 458 barrel, and he had to motivate it with a torch. I believe they are heated to enlarge them then pressed on.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help. The project was changed today. The barrel band stays.