New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Sako info needed...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've actually had the same experience with Sako, who kindly responded to a question I posed regarding manufacturing date of an action stamped L461. It does indeed seem the factory does not distinguish between the L461 and the A1 series. The only difference that I have noted (short of the serial numbers and the stamping) is the bolt shroud. It is open on my L461 and closed on my A1. But I'm not sure whether that warranted the change in designation all by itself??

This was the reply I got from Sako:

Quote:

Thank you for your inquiry.
Your Sako L461 rifle was made in 1969.

Here is some general information about the model.
The Sako L461 Vixen was in production from 1962 till 1992.
The Vixen models were: Hunter, Deluxe, Super Deluxe, Laminated, Varmint and Target.
The Vixen was available in the following calibres: .17 Rem, .222 Rem and .223Rem. Hunter, Varmint and Target also in calibres .22 PPC USA and 6 PPC USA.
The length of the barrel varied from 573 mm to 603 mm and that of complete rifle from 1065 mm to 1090 mm. The weight of the rifle was from 2,85 - 4,20 kg.
The Forester featured a 6rds magazine and open sights as standard ( barrels of stainless steel always without sights ).

At the same time that the Sako L461 Vixen was in production, there were the L61R Finnbear ( big and magnum size calibres ) and L579 Forester ( medium size calibres ).

Kind regards,

Reine Austin
Marketing Assistant
Sako Ltd.

Which clearly conflicts with "common lore" such as this posted on AR by "Dr. Lou" (may be the same info you posted above Martin?):

Quote:

From AR, posted by "Dr. Lou" :

L46 = Vixen, 218 Bee, 22 Hornet - 1949
L57 = Forester, 243, 6mm Rem
L469 = 222, 222 mag - 1950
L461 = Vixen 222 length - 1963
L579 = Forester 308 length - 1960
L61R/AIII = Finnbear 30-06/375 H&H - 1961

late 70s/earliy 80s

AI/ = Hunter 222 length
AII = Hunter 308 length
AIII = Finnbear/Hunter (transition - short tang like L61R but with AV bolt)
AIV = Safari (same as AV)
AV/ = 30-06/375H&H Hunter, Classic, Fiberclass, etc.
The heavy barrel version was called "Varmint" regardless of action length.

L491 = 223 length, Hunter/Classic- 1993
L591 = 308 length, Hunter/Classic - 1993
L691 = 3006/375H&H,Hunter/Classic - 1993

1997 - start model 75

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Perhaps Sako just made this simplification in later years as it must be more convenieht for them when anwsering questions, in particular since there were some rifles with the new bolt but the old stamps etc.

Beside the bolt shroud, the lenght of the extractor differs. There are other small details as well that differs, but not on the actions - it is the stocking, the open sights etc.

Regards,
Martin

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the A-1 was introduced at the end of the L Series and it is called the A series...A1, A11, A111, Small, med and Large if you will..Same with the L Series starting with the 222 size action being the L-461 and so fouth.

The L series is the better rifle by a long shot IMO..The A series was a manufacturing scam that cheapened up the Sako just a tad, but still much better than todays junk.

The L Series had a Mauser bolt shroud and that gave them a more streamlined look and the safty could be different depending on date of production. The A series has a large bulbus shroud, that is gas functional but ugly IMO...

I can't think of a nicer action to build a 222, 226, 6x45 on than a L-461 Sako...round top or double square bridge, you had your pick...

Prior to that we had the Rhiimaki clip models and they were plumb neat also...I love those old sakos in small and medium actions. but want a control feed rifle in larger calibers.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
Ray, I have one of those old L461 in 222 Rem and it is a very nice little rifle. I think however thaty Sako started to cheapen up the production even before the introduction of the A-series. The older ones with Bofors stamped barrel are better craftmanship then the newer ones - I think the Bofors stamp dissapeared around 1968. This is what I understand that you in USA refer to as pre-Gracia Sakos?

I have an AII and an AIII as well, and I fully agree the the older shroud looks better. Still they are very fine rifles, in particular as they cost second hand here a thrid of a new Sako 75. I know the old ones are more expensive in USA - we don't value the good old stuff as much here. Rather fun, when yoou think of the common European conception of vulgar America without culture or understanding of old values.

Regards,

Martin

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Martin, Grate posts ! Hows that Sako peep sight working out for you ? Regards, Ed

Posts: 68 | Location: Swartz Creek, Mich. | Registered: 26 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
ELB, thanks, I have not had the opportunity to try out the peep-sight as much as I should have wanted as I am waiting for a new stock for my AIII and there is no front sight on the AII, but what I have seen so far looks good.

Regards,
Martin

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the Sako peep sight many times on a full stocked 30-06. Works great!

I am going to try it out on my 416 Rem Mag AV in the spring.

JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote