THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Mauser 98 Action - Nazi Marks 'BERLIN' PICTURES ADDED

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser 98 Action - Nazi Marks 'BERLIN' PICTURES ADDED
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a 98 small ring action with a couple strange markings on it.

Sort of rusty, so I bead blasted the whole thing so the markings should show better.

Along the outside left is stamped '9677'
On the top front ring is the German Eagle over a swastika with 'BERLIN' below it.
On the right outside in the very back is
'3 0 0 6' really spaced out, but really deep so I think it would be an original marking.

Regular long action, not intermediate.

I plan to post pictures soon if I can figure out how.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Lemme guess, it has "Adolf H" engraved into it too!

Sorry Spence, couldn't help myself! Smiler

Sounds interesting, I'll be curious to hear more too.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There was more than one maker that had a factory in Berlin including Mauser.That one would have the ID letters ar - Mauser Works .Borsigwalde, Berlin.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is the weird thing.
There are no other marks on it.

Small ring 98's are pretty rare in and of themselves, but I've never seen one with a big German Eagle and swastika on one.
I thought they stopped making these at least in Germany before the 1930's.

Could it be a peacetime Mauser?

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I email someone pictures, can you post them for me?

-Spencer

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShopCartRacing:
If I email someone pictures, can you post them for me?

-Spencer

Yes. My email is in my profile.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks alot Charles, you have made my day!

See what I'm saying about that Eagle Swastika thing? Its a pretty weird stamp.

I also want to add that the action is cut out for a guide rib, similar to Huskies, Swedes, and Mexicans.

Tried a Siamese bolt in it, no dice.
Tried some random bolt that was longer than the Siamese, and still had the guide rib but even it was about a 1/4" too short.

Does the eagle not look normal to you?
The head looks too eagle-ish and not as square and blocky as I have seen other pictures of German eagles.

Neato isn't it?

-Spencer

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Spencer,

I think this was someones attempt at engraving. If you look at the swastika you can see that it was not laid out properly, which to me suggests maybe a budding gunsmith or engraver. What I find interesting is the crest on the back of the eagle, it would be of interest to ask a german historian if that is peculiar to some region or time period.

Is there something on the right side of the front ring? It looks like there is on the image.

Mark

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Spencer, How does the receiver compare with your Mexicans? The cutter tracks and sequencing, but especially the thumb cut and the feed well - without the forward "bumpers" certainly bears more than a family resemblance to the practice at Fabrica de Armas Mexico D.F. Though I have never seen one the usual backyard fence gossip was to the effect that Mexico went to the '06 ctg, lengthened the receiver and bolt as necessary, but did not change distance from rear of bolt lugs to bolt face. The tang is same as the 1902 Loewe's which for some reason is expertly referred to as the model 1910. They do have some proficient engravers in Mexico,
and the right bridge was alleged to be stamped 30-06. Screw span 7,815 or about 7.775?

Thos. M. Burgess

Posts: 199 | Location: Kalispell MT. | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
systeme98-

I measure a little bit shorter than those two, but then again I do not have a caliper.

Interesting thought that it sould be an engraver's project.

However, the Austrian action which I mentioned above, it has Austria and I think if I'm not mistaken, some sort of factory name on the left side just forward of the thumb notch.

It also has the big deep '3 0 0 6' marking on it as well.

You know, this might explain why the eagle head looks too Mexican, how it is feathery like on their flag.

And yes, there is another marking on the front right of the bridge, but it is just the importer's stamp.

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, the eagle is certainly not German. Just pretends to...

Carcano

--
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither."

"Is the world less safe now than before you declared your Holy war? You bet!"
(DUK asking Americans, 14th June 2004)

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I should have posted these links before -- these are the original and even larger versions of the pictures (that's what I get for doing these things at night).

Picture one.

Picture two.

Picture three.

Picture four.

Picture five.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Really bad fake!

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did some measuring.

Screw spacing = 7 5/8"

Length from front of magazine cutout to rear of tang = 6 7/8"

Ring diameter = 1.29"

Overall length = 8.5"

I did a little research, and this gun has the screw spacing of a small ring, but the magazine length of a large ring.

I am going to guess that the '3 0 0 6' really means 30-06 Springfield.

So as far as I can tell, this gun most closely resembles a G33/40 or maybe one of those weird 1954 Mexicans.

Does anyone know if the G33/40 or 1954 Mexican had the guide rib on the bolt?

-Spencer

BTW - The larger pictures are a nice touch and really show detail. Thanks Charles.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool pictures... that swastika looks bad. Not a german swastika ive ever seen. Looks like something a mexican would make. An "X" is easy to make.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What it is is a 1954 Mexican.
I also found another one, identical in measurements, with Austria stamped on it.

I tried a VZ24 bolt, a 1909 Argentine bolt, and a 1934 Peruvian or Brazilian bolt, none work.

It seems as if the locking lugs are in the wrong place.

From a previous post, I have found out that I have a 2 piece firing pin assembly which comes from a 1954 Mexican.

Would anyone have or know where to get a 1954 bolt, either stripped or complete?

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark is right. The close up shows it is certainly an engraving rather than stamping.

One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted Hide Post
Just my two cents, but the first thought that entered my mind when I saw that was that someone attempted to engrave these markings. I could be wrong, but that was my first impression.

--->Happiness is nothing but health and a poor memory<---Albert Schweitzer
--->All I ever wanted was to be somebody; I guess I should have been more specific<---Lily Tomlin