New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock Re-finishing Recommendations
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is a good method to remove the existing finish off a factory stock? I've got a Remington mountain rifle stock that I'd like to replace the poly finish with a tounge oil finish. Is finish remover the way to go. I understand the factory finishes are tough. Looking for recommendations from those who have been there and done that.

Recommendations on finishes and applications methods are also welcome. I was reading an other thread and there are a number of different methods out there...I am curious about the wet sanding that was described. How many times is this done and what are the benefits?

Shoot Straight!

Posts: 178 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I don't know if I know the best answer but that stuff is tough. I would either use scrapers if it will scrape off or a heat gun to soften it, then scrape. Sanding would be a last resort and I hate strippers.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok, I will reveal the secret to removing the nasty KKW style plastic coating IF you promise to do a search on stock finishing in this forum...

There has been considerable debate on the subject- some excellent pointers- complete with specific finish recommendations and application methods by world class gunsmiths who are better off at the bench than on the computer.

That said, see if you can track down some Klean Strip KS-3 Premium Stripper at Home Depot, some Formby's Paint and Poly Remover WASH- make sure it's the WASH, and some heavy duty aluminum foil. Goop the stripper on with a heavy hand and mold a long strip of foil to the stock so that the stripper doesn't dry or evaporate quickly- don't squeeze out the stripper- the foil just holds the stripper to the wood- wrap it up good and let it sit for a couple of hours. Later peel it off and scrape the stock with a plastic putty knife and scrub it good with the Formby's wash. Several iterations may be necessary...

Hope you'll post pictures when it done Smiler

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks DeBee. Sounds like a good method. I knew somebody had battled the factory finish before.

I will do the seach...I'm sure this has been asked before.

Posts: 178 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote