Find
Notify
Tools

Tight Neck/Chamber Problem.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted
Guys, I have a 22.250 with was made on a rebarrel, with a one in 7 twist...

My problem is that the neck is real tight on this particular firearm.. REAL Tight..

So my question, to try and quit combating this everytime I load a cartridge...

1. Do I need to have this rifle throated out some more..
or
2. Would neck turning the brass solve the problem?

( I have never had to neck turn brass in the past.. or any of my other rifles..)..

I also got it to shoot the 75 and 80 grain match bullets, but to cleat the chamber, I have to seat the bullet so deep, it kinda defeats the purpose.... originally the action was chambered in 243, so it has a longer magazine than is normal for a 22.250...

Thanks for the help guys!

cheers and happy holidays,
seafire

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
If you want to use long bullets then the easy fix would be recut the throat. If you don't want to turn brass then open the neck at the same time. Will your twist handle those bullets?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Hi, Seafire.

I think you are lucky in that the answers to both of your problems involve cutting something bigger, not trying to make them smaller!

It is no trick at all for a good 'smith to enlarge the neck diameter of your chamber to any practical size of brass you wish to use. Many gunsmiths keep on hand a variety of neck reamers for just that purpose.

Likewise, it is not a difficult task to deepen the throat of your chamber to take any length of bullet you may wish to stuff in there, practical or otherwise. Again, many gunsmiths keep on hand numerous throating reamers for this specific purpose.

The only real potential downside is that if you lengthen the throat long enough to seat 90 gr. bullets out to a jam-fit with the rifling without seating below the base of the case neck, you may find that really short bullets such as the 50-52 grain ones, may have too long a jump to the rifling to keep their very best acuracy.

Still, some bullets shoot very well in some rifles even with extreme leaps tp engage the rifling.

The thing I would do for my own rifles and would recommend to you, is to make sure he removes the barrel and does the work in a lathe, rather than just with a hand reamer and guide inserted through the action. The latter can work well enough in very skilled hands, but the former (I believe) is a little safer when it comes to maintaining concentricity and alignment of the entire chamber and bore.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Thanks AC...
Good points.. appreciate it..

Ramrod,

yeah the one in 7 twist will easily stabilize those longer bullets.. in fact a one in 9 twist in my Savage 12BVSS, in 223 will also shoot them just fine...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you wanna do it really right make a chamber cast of the case/neck and throat. Then dummy up a case with the bullet seated out to your prescribed length. Then send both to Clymer, Manson or wherever and get a neck/throater of PRECISELY what you want. Just my .02
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote