New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ejector problem on Jed Williams 22lr
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I don't know if anybody has ever heard of the Jed Williams brand sold by Sears. I have an older 22lr lever action single shot that my stepfather bought years ago to teach his boys on and handed it down to my niece. The ejector either through wear or being soft has gotten to where it is no longer is getting under the cartridge rim so that it can eject it after firing. Looks like it starts off that way, it isn't sitting flush with its recess when the block is down and the cartridge is inserted, so when you raise the lever the cartridge rim jumps right over the ejector and then there isn't enough leverage in the works to get it under there by manipulating the lever afterwards.

They want me to try and fix it, but the action looks like it is riveted together, not setup with pins that can be pushed out to disassemble. there is One allen head screw on the underside close to the forend, but it is not in great shape and I am afraid if I break it loose I may damage it and not be able to get any further than getting the forend off.

Advise?

Thanks.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Red,

Firstly, have another look at the name on the gun, should read Ted Williams (the baseball player).
From memory this is the Winchester line of 22's with Ted's name on them and sold at Sears stores. You'll have to look up information on Winchester 250/270/290 series of guns to find out how to work on these, Sorry but my old winchester repair manuals are not accessible at the moment.

Mark

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is the extractor- not ejector. I will look in my parts bin, I might have a new one.

www.duaneguns.com

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hard to read it, the first letter was partially covered by the stock and was a script rather than print.

Thanks Duane for looking, if you find something it'll sure be a help. I have not fired this gun before, does it just extract and then the shell has to be pulled out by hand? neat little gun for a kid to learn on, but I'd be irritated myself having to load the damn thing all the time. I'll stick with my ancient springfield tube fed bolt action.

Thanks again guys, really appreciate the help.

Red

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mark, that was a great help! I figured out after finding out that it was Ted Williams that it is an Ithaca Model 49 SS (single shot). Haven't gotten the disassembly instructions yet but found a schematic (not really good print quality) with parts list.

Red