Find
Notify
Tools

stock from a blank
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted
After reading several posts from experienced stockmakers I decided to take the plunge and do a stock from a blank. I did one about 25 years ago and was totally clueless about what I was doing. Since then I have always used semi-inletted/semi-finished stocks. But after reading the posts and continually glancing at the Bastogne blank in my shop (and after reading David Westbrook's book several times) I decided my CZ550 7x57 needed to be restocked from a blank. Sooooo--the inletting is done and I'm ready to do the bedding. Plans are to do a classic style with a cheekpiece and shadowline, fit a skeleton buttplate and gripcap(Dakota), hand rubbed oil finish, then send it to Sherry Abraham for the checkering. Not gonna do the checkering myself--just don't have the time anymore. Wish me well and I'll post pics when it's done unless I screw it up and wind up using it for firewood. [Big Grin] BTW, I am really having a blast with this and may never use another semi-done stock again!

Good Hunting,

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think your terminolgy slipped on this one, "the inletting is done and I'm ready to bed"

If the inletting is done, its bedded [Embarrassed]

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Let me clarify--the inletting is done and I'm ready to apply some bedding compound. I'm still having a good time with this project even if the terminology slipped. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Andy,
Would love to see your pics on this.
sounds like a fun project...

jeffe

Posts: 39706 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andy,
Of course, I should have read in to that!!, sorry

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Ray,

That's quite alright. With the amount of Bullish Stuff [Eek!] that has been known to circulate on these hallowed boards one can never be too careful! Have a good one!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ACRecurve,

You do not have to start off by glass bedding. See if the final product and your wood to metal bedding shoots adequately. Glass bedding is a fix for poor bedding and you may have done an excellent job.

Take lots of photos, would love to see your rifle.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote