Find
Notify
Tools

Stock Repair
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How would you fix this?

Posts: 438 | Location: California | Registered: 01 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was the stock cracked or is this just a mortise hole? If it is just a mortise hole I would cut a "dutchman" to fill in (A basic piece of wood matching as near as possible, cut to fit tighly and glued in). What are the function of the screws? It looks like there may have been a receiver sight installed at some point.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you talking about the screw hole or the mortise?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The stock is not cracked. There was a receiver sight installed that did not come with the rifle.

Posts: 438 | Location: California | Registered: 01 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Inlet a piece of wood that matches the color and grain as best you can. Then, checker it to complement the checkering on the sides of the grip. Another way I have handled similar fiascos is to inlet a contrasting piece of wood or other material ("ivory" "silver", etc.), again, using a size and shape that complements the existing checkering.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
I would concider inletting a piece of blued steel to resemble a tang.

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would radius the square corner near the comb, remove the thin ledge at the action (which will break out anyway) and widen it enough to straighten the sides. Easiest way would be to set it up in a mill and make a pass with a cutter just slightly wider than the mortise, or could be done by temporarily installing a dutchman near comb, drilling with a forstner bit to create the radius then finish out with chisels. Then fit a dutchman of similar material, starting slightly oversize and sanding it to fit snug (glue a piece of fine sandpaper to a block, clamp to your bench and stroke the dutchman along it), may take a couple of tries, leave long + tall and trim after gluing. The radius at the comb will help disguise the dutchman, a square joint across the grain will stand out like h*ll. You can fit the sides of the dutchman tapering slightly wider toward the surface, and lightly tap it in, to keep the glue line as thin as possible. Be sure to use a glue that doesn't leave a dark line at the joint.
If the forend is from the same piece of wood, you might be able to steal a piece from underneath the barrel for the dutchman, just fill with another dutchman or epoxy as it won't show.

Posts: 353 | Location: Southern Black Hills SD | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your input. The rifle is a Browning High Wall in 45/70 and because of the damage, I got it for a good price. I like the idea of silver or ivory. If I am real careful, I may not have to try and match the high gloss of the original finish.

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I would find the correct sight and install it.

It is probably a long range peep.

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3077 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you don't mind spending a little money on it, there is a stockmaker I know that can repair such problems so that they DO NOT show. dba the Stock Doctor.

Posts: 119 | Location: kamiah idaho | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote