New
Find
Notify
Tools

Base caliber/action for .404 Jeffery?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there any readily available caliber out there to buy in a CRF action that could be changed out to .404 Jeffery easily? Is it possible to rechamber one of the 416's, rebore and rechamber , or, say, add a new barrel to a .458? Just looking for a relatively inexpensive way to get into one, probably starting with a gun with a Zastavia or Mauser action or some such? I am a newbie to build your owns...as I am sure my questions prove. Any info would be appreciated.
thanks
Rick

DRSS

Posts: 708 | Location: Gulf coast SW Fla. USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Issue you will have with a rebore is insuring the longer shallow tapered shoulder of the 404 would clean up the old chamber.

As to the Zastavia the cheapest way to get that action would be a Rem 798 in 375 or one of the later non Whitworth MKxs or Daly in 375 that way the major cost would be covered. Have a 404 barrel installed.

Another option is the M70 even on the short action it is a quick fix to remove the spacer and lengthen the box.

Buy a CZ either in a long magnum and swap the barrel.

Not sure if any of these options will save you that much $$$ over just buying a CZ in 404.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Check in Big Bores forum, several of us have had Win M70 Classics that began life as Ultramags rebarreled into 404's. Mine was a 300 RUM that went off to PacNor for a rebarreling.

Once the open sights were added, I think I only saved about $500 from getting a CZ, but the other rifles I use are Win M70's and I wanted to keep things the same from gun to gun.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote