New
Find
Notify
Tools

.404 Jeffery Project...Gunsmith Interest
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am considering a 404 Jeffery project rifle. I have no particular specs scribed in stone except I want it based on a Mauser Action. Maybe a 1909 Argentine but will certainly consider other options. I would like a classic sight base and something like a New England front sight/band. Of course a barrel band. Probably turkish walnut with some figure but not too much. I want a strong stock with pretty as a secondary consideration. A classic pattern with cheekpiece is the style but probably not as much drop as you would find on an English stock.
Rust blue. No Scope.
Expect the project to take 1.5-2 years til completion mainly with time to find the right action and timber.
Would probably like a custom drop box bottom metal but am open here.
If you have experience in building a DG rifle like this and think you can work with me please e-mail me and if possible either attach pics of sample work or provide links. None of this is set in stone and I'd appreciate all input. I expect this project to run around $3,000 +/- $500 again let me know if this is realistic or what you think is in the ballpark...

You can reach me at:

j_schrin@bellsouth.net

Thanks...

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
I would get in touch with Dennis Olson of Plains, Montana. Dennis is very, very good at putting together a big bore rifle that works. Anytime I have been in his shop he always seems to be working on at least one. He has several actions and stock blanks around and will use whatever barrel you want to. If he tells you something you can put it in the bank, his word is that good. Don't get disappointed if he doesn't talk a lot at first. He is a rather quiet person until he gets to know you a bit.

He never does use more words than are neccesary for any situation though. [Big Grin]

Dennis Olson
P.O. Box 337
500 First Street
Plains, Montana

(406) 826-3790

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I'm sitting here drooling over my Montana 1999 action.....and It'll handle the 404 Jeffery.

I seriously considered the .404 as a project but it just got complicated with correct size barrels and bullets....I finally gave up on the old cartridge because it just seemed that it was too many obstacles to encounter. Folks on this forum helped me understand the nature of the beast.

Good luck with your project....I hope it works our for you.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
404 jeffery... nostalgia....

416 dakota... realism...

that being said, i own a 416 rem, building 416 taylor, and i am FINALLY getting a 416 rigby, for nostalgia

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dont give up on the .404 just yet. I am having one built...forced upon me by my smith who had an awsome 1909 sitting there already set up classic english straight bolt etc. 1 piece steel bottom metal with integral mag box etc.

Just talk your issues through with your smith. Also check out the thread running in the big bores section on building a .404 with a 1909 action.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote